Phoenix Area Support?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greghen

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
I am relatively new to working on cars. Starting to do some simple projects on my 73 vert but need to do some larger projects. I need my full suspension (front and back) redo. Something a bit more then I think I can do on my own.

Here is my question. Any fellow members in the Phoenix area that can suggest a good shop to work with or maybe someone handy that I could work with to learn how to do some of this work?

I have an estimate from a very highly recommended shop but I am not sure it is a fair price. I took a look at the parts list and notice that most of them were much higher in cost than I could get the parts for. So I open up this thread for 2 thinks.

1) Local help/mentor recommendation for a newbie.

2) Take a look at the estimate (names are blocked to protect the innocent) and let me know if you think it's a fair quote for the work.

Thanks!

S Quote001.pdf

Attachments

• S Quote001.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 34
It seems kind of high at first glance. His time breakdown is reasonable and his hourly rate seems good. As for the parts it looks like he is using goos quality stuff. Shops do mark up parts prices when they sell to the consumer. All in all it does not look like he is trying to take advantage. This is why I do all my own work. If there is a Mustang club in your area or a group of hot rodders there are always folks willing to lend a hand.

Hey greghen,

Kudo's for trying to figure out how to get it done and learn how. Maybe you could start with something you can do that's easy.

I'd recommend starting with the front brakes and wheel bearings. It's probably a weekend job or less for a novice.

Wheel Bearings

Rotors

Calipers

Brake Pads

That would save you $240 labor and give you a boost of confidence and maybe find your limits too.

The great thing is YouTube can show you most of what you need to know.

NoLimitssjca's advise is great; check out youtube for everything and Scott's (QcodeMach351) Saturday Morning Garage for body/structural work. That will at least make you knowledgeable about what has to happen to get your project done.

Like Nolimits said try some smaller projects tobuild your confidence and soon enough you'll be taking on bigger and bigger jobs if you dont have a mustang club in your area go to some local car shows, as car guys we all love to talk about our rides and i'm sure you'll find guys that are willing to lend a hand!

If you aren't in a rush to drive the car, let it sit, don't take it to a shop so they can take all your hard earned money and may still do a crappy job. Shops are about moving cars in and out. Getting paid. They don't give a damn how much you care about your car.

If it's already broken, you aren't going to mess it up any worse than it already is by learning how to fix it, that's the way i see it. And you get to learn something in the process. In this hobby, you HAVE to get your hands dirty. Just dig in and get at it!

There is nothing better than education - whatever it is.

Teach yourself, and like someone else said, get to know others in your area that are into cars as much as you. Car guys tend to stick together. Well at least Ford guys... LOL

Go slow, take your time,and most important, don't be afraid to ask questions when you don't understand something.

Here's what I have for labor times from the motors estimating guide

1.3 each for the upper control arms=2.6

1.2 each for the lowers=2.4

0.4 per shock=0.8

0.5 per strut=1.0

Rear leaf 1.1 each=2.2

0.4 per rear shock=0.8

Total=9.8

Keep in mind there is some "overlap" in those numbers in other words in order to do the lower control arm you have to remvove the shock so the time for the lower may include doing the shock..I didn't check the overlap.

You could add an hour or 2 to that for misc rusted bolts etc.

He's a bit high on the labor according to the motors book 6.0 on the rear leafs :huh:

Parts is parts..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in Gilbert. I know the shop. They are probably the best ones in the area to do the work. If you can't afford their prices you can do the work yourself and save some cash. Just be aware it cost me 26 grand to rebuild my vert and I did all the labor except for a quarter panel replacement.

Great advice guys.. I appreciate it all!

Only thing I suggest is upgrade the front end parts using opentrackers roller perches and upper control arms.

I made mine and the front end is much smoother.

Only thing I suggest is upgrade the front end parts using opentrackers roller perches and upper control arms.

I made mine and the front end is much smoother.
The open tracker stuff is nice but for the money there's better stuff out there..The open tracker stuff does nothing to correct the geometry weakness of the stock control arm..For a few bucks more you can do the street or track upper arms etc.

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/images/st/Tubular_Front_Suspension.pdf

And replace the strut rods with something that has a heim joint in it.

I live in Mesa and would be willing to help out. One thing about doing it yourself if you can go the extra effort to clean up the parts and such. For example, you can really clean out the fender side of the firewalls when the springs and everything is removed.

Additionally, you can justify buing higher quality parts (like improved strut rods, upper/lower control arms, etc) from the money you saved on labor. This is also a great way to justify buying the right tools (like a good quality torque wrench).

The suspension is actually pretty easy to work on (it can be messy). The worst thing is removing/installing the coil springs. Most of the compressors won't work (they can't compress it enough) but there is a trick to it.

Send me a PM, if nothing else I could come on by, take a look, offer advice. Who knows, maybe we could turn it into a local meet and greet!

Back