Platinum plugs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I changed the oil in my '73 4v today and due to the way it's been running, I checked the plugs. They are Bosch platinums. I've never used platinum plugs before because I was told to never use them if your car didn't come with them. Is this true?

i do not think it is...Sure some plugs burn hotter than othere's "reason we have to pick the right one for our motors" but what you get from platinum tipped plugs is longer plug life mostly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok. Besides that, will they make the engine rune any better/worse?

Oh ok. Besides that, will they make the engine rune any better/worse?
Mmm from what i know..Should not make much of a dif..Besides at super high rpm and for lasting longer...When the older plugs have a hard time keeping up. "but thats like at 9500 rpm" ..lol..requires a colder than normal plug for that kinda high revs.....The right make of platinum for your car, should run the same as a older plug over all...Alot of claims in the spark plug world..So it kinda like snake oils...Counts what you wanna believe...As for me...i like to pull the plugs out and see how they are burning..If they burning nice golden color.."No matter the make of plug" then it is burning properly and working just fine.

A fresh conventional plug will run slightly better but won't be better for even a tenth the life of a platinum plug. Platinums can also act as a detonation source w n2o or a blower... bosch plugs habe been known to drop the center electrode into the engine killing it...

my $.02: run good conventional plugs and maintain it.

Damn.. I think I'll get rid of them.

In the 5.0 EFI engines, the Platinum plugs do not improve power and seem to mess with the electronics in some manner (resistance?) Conventional wisdom in those engines is to simply run conventional plugs. In a 351C I don't see that they are of any value.

Bosch Platinum Plugs have a thin platinum rod sintered into a unique insulator design. Platinum plugs reach their self-cleaning temperature even earlier than copper core plugs. This results in quicker starts and smoother acceleration. With a 99.9% platinum center electrode and a unique insulator design, the platinum plug has a wider heat range than copper core plugs and reaches its self-cleaning temperature only seconds after the start. They last longer too

according to the spark plug experts...But not really needed...Most of us would not be able to tell much diffrence.

I have read that Platinum plugs (and other precious metal plugs like iridium) are more detonation prone and are not recommended for race applications.

I think the K.I.S.S. principle applies here.

A fresh conventional plug will run slightly better but won't be better for even a tenth the life of a platinum plug. Platinums can also act as a detonation source w n2o or a blower... bosch plugs habe been known to drop the center electrode into the engine killing it...

my $.02: run good conventional plugs and maintain it.
Yes - for that reason, I will never run Bosch Platinums again. My '80 Jeep CJ-7 would occasionally foul a plug (usually #4), and when I would pull it out to clean and reinstall, I noticed I'd have to separate the central electrode core from the side electrode and stuff it back down into the porcelin central core insulator. After I replaced that plug (it was cold the first time I noticed that, so I just jammed it back in and went on my way), it did it again a few months later with a completely new set of Bosch Platinums. OK - screw that... good ol' Champions are going back in. That was 8 years ago, and I've never had a problem with those plugs ever since. I even ran a set of Champion Truck Plugs... and yeah - those things sucked and didn't last very long, either.

Along that line of thinking, our cars came with either Autolite or Motocraft as standard plugs. Guess what's in my car right now? Autolites, because they didn't have enough Motorcrafts at O'Reilly's that day. ;) :D

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'.

So do I. I've also read the same thing. I think I'll just go with a standard plug. They should be good for a while. Thanks..

Well...I dont think that is fully true... Many racers use plugs that have precious metals such as platinum or gold/palladium for greater durability and lower voltage requirements."according to experts" Just look what racing plugs are made for top fuel dragsters.....Most use nickle with some kinda precious metal...Same reason our computers get gold and platinum too...It works much better than copper for electricity

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/racing.asp?mode=nml NGK racing plugs

Regular plugs are just fine thou...what i use.

Well...I dont think that is fully true... Many racers use plugs that have precious metals such as platinum or gold/palladium for greater durability and lower voltage requirements."according to experts" Just look what racing plugs are made of for top fuel dragsters.....Most use nickle with some kinda precious metal...Same reason our computers get gold and platinum too...It works much better than copper for electricity
Which part isn't entirely true? Trust me - those Bosch Platinums in my Jeep were obviously not keepers. ;) :D

Here's my theory: spark plugs are spark plugs. They are designed to produce the necessary ignitor for the fuel/air mix in the cylinder to produce power that makes the car move. Periodically, one must perform some specific tasks to ensure all components of the vehicle are performing within optimum parameters - a tune-up. If any of those components need replacement - replace them.

Having said that, replacing a set of good ol' $1.00 each copper plugs is a helluva lot cheaper than a set of some of those exotic Iridium-based, multi-core, uranium-tipped, self-gapping, "unobtainium" plugs... that run something like $10.50 each. rofl

As for the plug gap. Does anyone know it off hand or does it depend on the plug?

I'm running something like .055" gaps, but that's because of the Duraspark ignition and Accel High Voltage Super Coil I'm running. It's probably a little more aggressive than necessary, though.

I think they're supposed to be between .035" & .042" gaps - but I'm not entirely sure.

Well...I dont think that is fully true... Many racers use plugs that have precious metals such as platinum or gold/palladium for greater durability and lower voltage requirements."according to experts" Just look what racing plugs are made of for top fuel dragsters.....Most use nickle with some kinda precious metal...Same reason our computers get gold and platinum too...It works much better than copper for electricity
Which part isn't entirely true? Trust me - those Bosch Platinums in my Jeep were obviously not keepers. ;) :D

Here's my theory: spark plugs are spark plugs. They are designed to produce the necessary ignitor for the fuel/air mix in the cylinder to produce power that makes the car move. Periodically, one must perform some specific tasks to ensure all components of the vehicle are performing within optimum parameters - a tune-up. If any of those components need replacement - replace them.

Having said that, replacing a set of good ol' $1.00 each copper plugs is a helluva lot cheaper than a set of some of those exotic Iridium-based, multi-core, uranium-tipped, self-gapping, "unobtainium" plugs... that run something like $10.50 each. rofl
"I have read that Platinum plugs (and other precious metal plugs like iridium) are more detonation prone and are not recommended for race applications."

You did not post it, and not tring to start a battle over it... Precious metal plugs are better at doing there job..Gold and platinum are better at sending electricity..and always will be better in this respect...I have had plain old champion plugs come apart too..but does not mean they are all crapola....Some times you get a bad set or just bad luck...And yes much cheaper to get some old copper specials.."what i use the most "..But if you poke around you will find plenty of folks than will say nothing better than a precious metal plug and had them last 150,000 miles without any issues..lol...and you will find people who say tell you truthfully they did not last long at all........Do not mean to ruffle any feathers ..but i will discuss stuff if i think it is wrong...Most racing plugs i know use precious metals, cause it takes less electricity to create spark in precious metal plugs..they can run lower and higher temps than a regular plug....And if some one has some information saying they are not better for racing or anything else....show me ..I do not mind being corrected.

I have run alot of diff spark plugs in cars,trucks and dirt bikes...I seen the best fail and the cheapest..specially when it comes to two stroke bikes...they can eat a plug like no other...High rpm's,high heat and oil mix.....I got a friend who refuses to buy NGK plugs after he went threw a few bad ones.. he had some real bad luck with them....I had a NGK plug last the longest in my old husky so far..In all the years i never replaced it yet..Still in the bike..But if i would of lisin to my buddy i would of never gave this plug a shot..And only reason i did was cause it was the only one at napa that was right for my husky at the time and i did not want to wait for new stock.....happend to last the longest out of all the othere's i used...Good luck or good plug? Anyones guess..lol

All,

One area that I did not see much discussion on was that the modern automobiles today have super high energy ignition systems. Eric (Mister 4 x4) did mention that he installed a Ford HEI type ignition system. Most or all current automobile makes have the coil packs on top of the spark plugs thus giving a high energy spark to the plugs. This high energy provides optimum spark, thus helps keep the spark cleaner longer, along with lasting up to 100,000 miles. 1971 1973 mustang ignition systems are no where even close to this type high energy ignition unless you add an MSD or Mallory with a high energy spark box and coil pack.

Mallory HEI for 351C

http://mallory-ignition.com/dist-ford-351c-460-st-hei-wcoi.html

Mallory HyFire Spark box

http://mallory-ignition.com/ignition-electrical-and-wiring/ignition-boxes-and-accessories/hyfire-6a-digital-cd-ignition.html

An Article to consider:

Copper Spark Plugs vs. Iridium and Platinum: Understand for Top Performance

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/copper-spark-plugs-vs-iridium-and-platinum-understand-for-top-performance

An interesting article where copper is the best performance, but lacks the longevity where platinum has the longevity and less performance.

Just my 2 cents worth.

mustang7173

"I have read that Platinum plugs (and other precious metal plugs like iridium) are more detonation prone and are not recommended for race applications."

You did not post it, and not tring to start a battle over it...
No worries, Brutha! I was just trying to figure out which comment you were referencing.

As well, I am by no means the end-all/be-all authority on really, much of anything. rofl I was just relaying my experience with the Bosch Platinums (I can safely recommend against them in an old Jeep AMC 258 I-6, that's for sure ;) ).

Good stuff here! ::thumb::

Back