Pontiac

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP Pontiac...

I had several through the years and all were fine vehicles. Still like to get a Smokey and the Bandit Trans-Am someday!

Yes, it is a shame to see them go down.

It was a Pontiac (1973 SD Trans Am) that brought me around to understanding big block torque. This was doing my "street racing" days in 1975.

I was stationed at Andrews AFB in Maryland and we use to race from the DC line down into Maryland. I was very, very competitive with my solid lifter, 457 geared Mach I until one Friday night when I got "suckered" into a rolling start with this guy in his Trans AM. To make a long story short, he "handed me my head" on a platter - - three times straight. That, as I said was my introduction to big block torque and the different RPM ranges where it occurred. The '73 SD were actually "better" than the earlier "Goats", based on my experience.

It is really too bad that the decision was made to discontinue them but who knows they may come back - - strangerthings have happened!

BT

We still love our '01 Grand Prix GT coupe. Awesome car, considering it's FWD with a sideways V-6.

I have owned one in my life. It was a low mileage 1980 Trans Am Indy pace car edition, turbo car, that would not fall out of a tree. Did not keep it long but would love to have it back now.

Last edited by a moderator:
While consolidation is probably an economic necessity, I do hate to see so many fine brands disappear. I built a 389 to go in 326 badged 1967 Firebird in 1972. We won a considerable amount of cash with that car. I only owned one Pontiac and I sure wish I had it back. I bought it to fix and sell for a profit when I was a high school senior. I made six hundred dollars profit. Compared to my 95 cents an hour job it was a small fortune. It was a red, 1964 GTO rag top, 389, 3 deuces, 4 speed, and posi-trac. If I'd only known.

Chuck

Back