power window template

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 MUSTANG GRANDE Q CODE
Does anyone have the template where to drill the holes to remove the bolt for power window motors drivers and passenger doors. I have to replace the gears inside the motors.

There’s a template in the shop manual but I just removed mine by taking the motor and regulator out as a unit. No drilling required. You have to go through some manipulations to get it out of the door but no new holes in the door are required. Word of caution: use duct tape to line the openings on the door before you stick your arm in there. Those edges are sharp as razors.

Attachments

• IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6789.jpeg
    IMG_6789.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What Steve73Q said: it's possible to remove the unit without drilling the holes specified in the template, and yes, those raw metal edges will get ya if you're not careful.

Template is in the Ford shop manual. I had reservations about drilling the holes, so tried the alternative and worked fine.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great. I'm going to try removing the regulator but I have big arm and don't know if that will work.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

I couldn't bring myself drill the holes like the manual shows, and removed the regulators like the other guys. This also allows you the opportunity to clean off all the fifty year old grease from the tracks and guides. Just be sure to block the window in the up position.

Here’s a couple of photos of my passenger side window motor repair. The window had quit working all together. I took the regulator/motor assembly out, then separated the motor. The motor tested ok in both directions. It turned out that the three pegs inside the gear mechanism were disintegrated. I got a replacement gear/peg assembly from Rock Auto. Although they were a little different in design they worked well. All new red grease and the window now works like new!

Attachments

• IMG_6759.jpeg
    IMG_6759.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6760.jpeg
    IMG_6760.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6762.jpeg
    IMG_6762.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6769.jpeg
    IMG_6769.jpeg