price check for a newbie!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My head is spinning.

Thanks
There are lots of people out there just waiting to take your money and give you nothing or very little in return. It burns me up to see these cars for sale to buyers that do not do their homework.

I did go to Ebay and there was an original Boss 351 that only sold for in the twenties with low miles. The highest was a 71 429 car that I think was $31,000. Lots of great cars went for just a few thousand dollars. Most people bidding on eBay are just playing and when you check their history they have had to pull bids to get out of a buy. I guess it makes them feel good to hit bid or something.

David

While I don't necessarily agree with all of David's points (a lot of the accuracy issues may be of the previous owner's preference, e.g., exhaust cutouts on a '73), my main gripe with this car isn't on his list:

This car has repro rear quarter skins - not full quarters, and very little effort was put towards gapping them nicely. I realize that the factory wasn't that good about it to begin with, but I would expect to see the panels fit reasonably even to each other from the front to the back. The left side quarter sticks out way too far from the door to be acceptable - even in comparison to some of the sloppier factory jobs. Someone didn't care to properly bend the bottom of the quarter skin to match the rocker, and the bulging body contour is the result.

193_p31_l.jpg

The passenger's side is likewise poor in fit, but it's the reverse problem - the door sticks too far out at the jamb, but this looks like poor door striker fit, not panel fit. Note that the strikers were painted along with the car and never cleaned or replaced afterwards.

Front-fender-to-door fit is also terrible. Big gap at the bottom left - more than there should be.

The fender fit against the end cap really gets under my skin though. The end cap has been angled outward to compensate for the quarter panel contour sticking out too much from the repro skin. The rear trunk contour also doesn't match up with the end cap due to the quarter. Really sloppy work masked by what looks to be a very good paint job:

193_p26_l.jpg

P.S.: Look at how far off the left end cap is! Eeek!

193_p29_l.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks very much for everyones imput. I understand there are plenty of things incorrect about this vehicle so Id like to have some thoughts on how this other 1972 Q code compares

http://www.admcars.com/1972-ford-mustang-convertible-q-code-351c-white-int.-c-159.htm?sold=Sold&

I think it goes without saying prices are inflated...so Im really looking at this car to figure out if its "right" or not. Thanks again...Im really learning a lot from everyone here !! Adam
Adam,

I had trouble with their site could not find pictures or write up about the car.

Again with just the quick walk around this car was not restored it was done to be a flipper with minimal efforts toward original. They produce eye candy cars. Under the hood of a Mustang there are many different colors of paint due to each supplier doing their paint. This one has one color. Couple examples of a pretty good job but maybe not 100% correct. You see all the different shades of black and gray.

Photos and video tell big lies about the condition of a vehicle of any brand. If you intent to get serious about a purchase you need to go view the car in person and take someone that knows the car you are considering. Reference books that show how an engine should look, how the undercarriage should and how to decode everything is important. If you are just wanting a shiny eye catching vehicle this is an expensive way to find one and you could never sell for half your costs.

When I see work not done to known standards I start to think what have they hidden under all the shine. I like to see pictures during the rebuild showing the condition of the metal before priming. I always want to see a Marti and always check the serial numbers on the body, engine and transmission. When I paint my vert I am going to add a NASA hood but will paint the flat hood at the same time so if a purist wants all original in future it is there.

When I see some of the shows on TV, wont' call any names, but in Vegas and Texas, I just do not see how they sell their wares for such a high price. They tell you they only had 6 or 10 days or some ridiculous little amount of time and they get the cars for low price to start. I cannot imagine what the paint would look like on one of these cars that they do in a week. The filler and primer shrinks at a different rate than the top coats. A good restoration shop will get all the body work done and spray a high fill primer and let it set for several months to allow the shrinkage to take place before sanding. I have seen and can send pictures of Black cars that look as good today as when done 15 years ago because it was done properly and it lasts and has gained value instead of loosing. A quick flip will become wavy looking and looks bad.

71 - 73 mustangs will never bring what the older more sought after mustangs bring. There is not that much history to these years. They are the years when the car companies got the HP & pollution rug pulled out from under them. The Boss 351 is about the pinnacle for these years and was more of a strip car not road coarse, too heavy. Take a look at this one sold on eBay for less than $30,000 with some history. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-boss-351-/121743515145?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c587a9e09:g:a8UAAOSwjVVV31mc&item=121743515145

This car cared for correctly will probably go up in value but also may not. Go through cars sold on eBay and see how low the prices are.

Do your shopping and you will find a great car for a good fair price. Look for estate sales there were a couple in the Atlanta area last week that sold cheap family was selling and just wanted money. If you go to purchase a car take cash and $20.00 bills it is impressive to see 10 or 15 thousand in cash and the seller wants the money more. Never be afraid to offer less than they ask. I have bought cars for 1/3 of their listing. They did not take at first but called and said ok after thinking about it. Lots of people love to kick tires but serious buyers carry cash with them.

If you do a total rotisserie original to every bolt, nut, body part and trim you will loose money. It just cannot be done the value is not there yet and may never be due to what I mentioned before. I have several and wish they would go up but probably will not.

David

p40171_large+1971_Ford_Mustang_Coupe+Engine_Bay[1].jpg

1973-ford-mustang-engine-bay[1].jpg

Back