PS pump concerns

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73CobraJet

Reaction score
Hey fellers. A guy just swapped out ps pump on my 73 Qcode vert. No matter how much I tried
I could not get it all the way seated despite using every tool a guy has and even managed to strip the threads in the shaft. Had the car running bit a bit worried about the belt alignment, the pulley is off a bit less than an eight of an inch. It seems OK for now. Should I be worried? Last hold up from hitting the cruise nights!! Thanks fellers!!

Hey fellers. A guy just swapped out ps pump on my 73 Qcode vert. No matter how much I tried
I could not get it all the way seated despite using every tool a guy has and even managed to strip the threads in the shaft. Had the car running bit a bit worried about the belt alignment, the pulley is off a bit less than an eight of an inch. It seems OK for now. Should I be worried? Last hold up from hitting the cruise nights!! Thanks fellers!!
I'm not quite sure what you are meaning here. I take it you are talking about a Ford Thompson (round style) pump. If the pulley is properly seated, it ought to line up without a problem. I also take it you have stock pulleys on the car. This was in a thread recently and the person was trying to use an aftermarket pulley if I remember.
Can you post a pic of exactly what is going on.

If it's only off less than an eighth of an inch then you're probably okay for cruise nights. If it's more than that you can expect the misaligned belt will wear prematurely and tend to develop belt noise.

Looks like a guy has the belt noise already! Screeching and carry on
Does your belt alignment look like this from my car? There is a special tool set used to remove/install pulleys. You can get this from Harbor Freight for about 20 bucks.
Do these pics help?

Attachments

• 20230802_163932.jpg
    20230802_163932.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2268.JPG
    IMG_2268.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    961.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2265.1.JPG
    IMG_2265.1.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 0
As I recall, the end of the pump shaft aligns flush with the end of the pully hub. If the threads in the pump shaft are stripped, you'll have to get creative on how to push the pully on farther. Maybe you can tap it larger?

As I recall, the end of the pump shaft aligns flush with the end of the pully hub. If the threads in the pump shaft are stripped, you'll have to get creative on how to push the pully on farther. Maybe you can tap it larger?
You're right, the pulley does end up flush with the shaft end.
DO NOT attempt to push it on with out using the thread to PULL it on. The pump will be damaged internally. Re-tapping it would be the best option if the shaft is not too hard. If not, replacing the shaft is the only fix.......... or a new pump.

Attachments

• IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    882.7 KB · Views: 0
You're right, the pulley does end up flush with the shaft end.
DO NOT attempt to push it on with out using the thread to PULL it on. The pump will be damaged internally. Re-tapping it would be the best option if the shaft is not too hard. If not, replacing the shaft is the only fix.......... or a new pump.
Not to beat a dead horse, but push vs pull brings perspective into play. Clearly, there is a force on the pully and an equal/opposite force on the shaft. The shaft is the only safe feature available to react that force. The moral of the story is that, unless OP comes up with some way to take the pump apart/put together with pully in place, the end of the shaft is the only accessible feature to react the force.

I do have a spare used pump in my parts bin if you need it. We are not far from each other. Part store parts are a crap shoot at best ....lmk

Attachments

• 5A247D5F-6031-42F6-912E-4D03C937374B.jpeg
    5A247D5F-6031-42F6-912E-4D03C937374B.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Not to beat a dead horse, but push vs pull brings perspective into play. Clearly, there is a force on the pully and an equal/opposite force on the shaft. The shaft is the only safe feature available to react that force. The moral of the story is that, unless OP comes up with some way to take the pump apart/put together with pully in place, the end of the shaft is the only accessible feature to react the force.
Physics was not my strong point, so whatever you say. However, what I'm simply saying is if a person was to try to hammer the pulley on that bit further, it would drive the shaft inwards thus damaging the spline end of the shaft or even jamming the eccentric rotor. That would render the pump useless as there is zero clearance between the eccentric and the rotor.
I would agree that the only way to push or pull the pulley is via the use of the shaft threads. If that cannot be fixed, then the pump is virtually useless, or run it as is and hope for the best.
Here is a pic of how I set up to pull (draw) the pump shaft into the pulley using the kit from HF.

Attachments

• IMG_1911.JPG
    IMG_1911.JPG
    1,023 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2253.JPG
    IMG_2253.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Well a guy was fighting it and then went muscle gun on it and that’s all she wrote! Had to get a new one!

Back