Quarter glass weather stripping

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible 351 Cleveland 2v
Hey guys was looking for some input on the best way to remove the weather stripping from the glass. Does stripping come out of the chrome and it stay on the glass or do you remove remove the stripping and chrome together? Thank you.

Attachments

• KIMG4634.JPG
    KIMG4634.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG4633.JPG
    KIMG4633.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I've done them both ways. Sometimes the bottom of the stainless trim is crimped onto the weatherstrip and you have to finagle it a bit. If you remove the trim from the glass, there's a rubber strip that you have to be careful with or just replace it with new.

It would be safer to take the trim off the glass. The only thing holding it onto the glass is a rubber channel seal that grips the trim to the glass. Most of the originals channel seals are dried up and will fall apart. They also don't reproduce these that I know of. I cut a new seal from thick fel pro gasket material to replace the rubber while still sealing the trim. The reason I would remove it is that the weatherstripping gets pushed into a channel in the trim. It will take some muscle and maybe some soapy water. There is less risk of damaging the glass this way. I don't use oil of any kind to slide rubber in place because of there is any left on the rubber, over time it will break it down and ruin the weatherstripping. Of course, this is my method that has worked and there might be better ways.

Back