QUESTION about engine bay hoses

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
Hello guys!! how are you today??

Well... this thread is about some doubts i have...

This last few days, as i´m waiting for the parts i ordered last month, i did almost all the conections i could in the engine bay... I had no hose conected what so ever so... I bought some good quality hoses (not the original ones with the right logos and stuff of course but good enough to drive arround). I did my best trying to conect everything where it supposed to go and i´m pretty sure i did all the vacum and gas right (otherwise the car wont run ;))

Here is the thing... as my car is almost stock, i wanted to end up with everything conected... the problems were in between the cannister, the air filter, the power booster, the valve cover and the base of the carb...

A lot, isnt it? :p

Well... just tell me if i did it right:

CANNISTER

-small diameter hose conects with the return line to the tank

-big diameter hose goes into the "rear" part if the air filter.

AIR FILTER

-Rear connector (the one with some plastic part inside the air filter) goes to the cannister

-Front connector goes to the rear part of the valve cover

POWER BOOSTER

-goes to the hose in the Spacer between the carb and the mainfold.

Well.. that´s about it... Everything looks correct but my biggest doubt is if the booster goes to the carb spacer or to the air filter, giving me the chance to connect the rear valve cover hose to the carb spacer.

Well guys, you tell me!!! and remember.. if you have pics of an I6 engine bay, it is REALLY helpful for me! :p

Thanks!

Damian,

Mine is a 73, and I forgot what year yours is, but the 73 may have had some changes because of the EPA laws. Here is the way mine is set up with your quotes included:

CANNISTER

-small diameter hose conects with the return line to the tank RIGHT -big diameter hose goes into the "rear" part if the air filter. WRONG

The big diameter hose goes to the side of the air cleaner. In the picture below my hose is not hooked up but is right next to the connection.

2005_0405_215435AA-1.jpg

AIR FILTER

-Rear connector (the one with some plastic part inside the air filter) goes to the cannister WRONG

The oil filler cap should have a hose connection on it and attaches to the rear of the air filter with a small filter fitting sticking out the back.

DSCF4729.jpg

DSCF1177.jpg

DSCF1178.jpg

-Front connector goes to the rear part of the valve cover

My 73 has a PCV in the front of the valve cover with a hose that connects at the base of the carb spacer:

DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1182.jpg

POWER BOOSTER

-goes to the hose in the Spacer between the carb and the mainfold.

Mine is different, goes to a special fitting in the manifold. It is the metal line that has a fitting that screws into the fitting in this picture. The rubber hose is the PCV hose. Pictures also from the brake booster to the fitting.

DSCF1180.jpg

DSCF1181.jpg

DSCF1179.jpg

DSCF1183-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok mike thanks very very much!! Mine is. 1972 low compression engine, that may be the diference at some points...

My valve cover has 1 blind CAP in the front part, abd the connector as your's have in te front, is in the back...

I conected that to the air filter with the factory original rubber hose, but it can also go and fit perfectly in the carb spacer... If i do that, i hace to go from the power booster to the air filter in order not to leave any pipe unconected...

The cannister is ok, just went to the wrong place in the air filter, because the valve cover hose could only go to the side pipe in the air filter...

So, i can be messed between only in the air filter side pipe and from there, the wrong use of the cannister hose...

I have to take some pics to show it better but maybe my setup is wrong and dangerous!!

I know for a fact that all my parts are original except for the power booster that is an aftermarket argentinian replacement, but the car cane with PB for a fact too...

I just dont like the idea of oil breething into my air filter... Seems not to be good for the carb!!

Thanks!!! Very very much! :)

I'm glad it helped you some, but there are differences between 72 and 73. Mine came with factory power disc brakes.
Mine too... even if 1972 6 cylinder cars was not supposed to... This is why some things, to go back to stock originality are soooo complicated!!

My car was not only a rare combo of engine and body but a special order from the US Embassy direct to Ford there...

Anyway... not that i´m looking at your pics closely, I see that i dont have the stock filter in the carb and i think, the metal pipe in the mainfold that ends up going into the PB is there in mine too, but with the actual metal pipe missing...

I have to do some more research but i´m gonna print your pics to get the reference...

If this special place in the mainfold is there in mine too, then my front valve cover cap can be also incorrect and came from another US Ford (it says FOMOCO)...

Is those two things are possible, then my configuration can be exactely as yours and if I have to guess... i´ll go with that...

BTW... is there a repro of this valve covercap with the pipe and that stuff??

Thank´s Mike!!

the black oil cap with the closed emissions system for the PCV is not reproduced. However any oil cap designed for a closed system will work in its place. the oil cap was used on many other models for 71-73 and they can be easy to find an original.

ford racing makes various caps for breather(open) or closed emissions sytems that will fit the application.

basically for the PCV system, one side is a breather to allow fresh air into the valve cover, the other side is a PCV that goes to full manifold vacuum. the valve turns on when vacuum is low and sucks out gasses and moisture from the valve covers. this reduces sludge build up in the valve train. The PCV is a controlled vaccum leak, it can be the source of problems if the wrong valve is used. PCV system that are not working right can cause vaccum leaks at idle by turning on at the wrong time. If an engine has a lot of Blow-by due to worn out pistons, or bad valve stem seals, the PCV can cause the engine to lose Oil the PCV system will suck excess oil from the valve covers and throw it right down into the combustion chamber through the intake manifold and blow the oil out the tail pipe.

every system has advantages and disadvantages.

Back