Question about oil vent hose to carb

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently fitted new rockers covers and have a question. Can anyone please tell me where to fit the carb hose from the PCV valve (in the passenger side rocker cover) to the carb? I was wondering what part of the carb the hose fits into? Thanks for any help you can give.

IMG_6793_zpsbecf0f86.jpg

IMG_6794_zps90c3b31b.jpg

IMG_6795_zps85256021.jpg

IMG_6796_zps8f56b3e8.jpg

I also need to sort out some kind of cap here (instead of the hose). ^^^

Last edited by a moderator:
That hose is what should be connected to the PCV valve.

There should also be another hose that runs from the oil fill cap to the bottom of the air cleaner.

Thanks for your reply. So the hose I have blanked off should be connected?

Also regarding the right side valve cover, I was told by CJ Pony Parts it was ok to fit just a breather cap (instead of the vent carb pipe). So they gave me misinformation?

Yes, the hose that is capped is for the PCV.

You can use a vented oil filler cap, but not a non-vented (solid) cap. The PCV continuously draws air through the crankcase. The cap that draws air through the air filter will draw cleaner air into the crankcase, plus contain oil fumes better. A regular vented cap will have a fibrous material or steel or copper wool that will filter out some of the dust out of the air drawn into the engine and will have to be cleaned at each oil change.

the pcv goes from the right valve cover to a spacer under the carb . . the intake you have does not use a thick spacer so you can buy a boss 302 spacer and use that . . the pcv should not go directly to the intake manifold.

the factory carb is an autolite.

what is that thing mounted to your coil? . . it is not factory

Newbie question, does anyone know if this carb is standard on 1972 302's? It says Motorcraft on the top, I'm thinking it might not be.
I'm fairly sure that carby is the original one. In Australia, Motorcraft products were used on all Ford vehicles from 1972 except for some early 72 4V GT engines, as they were left over from the first shipment of engines from early 70. I'd assume it would be pretty much the same in the U.S, switching over from Autolite to Motorcraft around this time as well.

Back