Questions for Electronics/Distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
Sorry if I've been posting in the "talk" section about performance mods. Wasn't paying attention to the other sections. Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade something's here. My dash cluster currently isn't working. Some of the lights are out and neither the speedo or tach work. I know they operate off different things but it does seem odd that both don't work. I'm not sure if the tach has worked since my bother had the Mallory distributor installed? The cable for the speedo could be damaged. I understand that the function of speedo is just a straight cable with the proper gear going into the back of the trans. After looking into the cost of fix/calibration/replacing the dash cluster and the 3 gauges in the bezel I figured I'd just step up to this bad boy http://www.cjponyparts.com/new-vintage-usa-gauge-kit-black-1969-series-electronic-speedometer-1971-1973/p/IBK711P/ . With regards to the factory voltage regulator...is it better to just upgrade the regulator or convert to the modern alternator? I figured I'd update one while I did the other. Thoughts? Also I've read a lot about updating the distributor to a duraspark with an added MSD box 6A or 6AL. If I did anything with this the 6A would be all I need. Now the Mallory that's on there currently appears to be working fine but I hear the durasparks and MSD's are easier to work with. Thoughts on this also please. Thanks

73' mach 1,

I have the Mallory Uni-lite with the Mallory Hy-Fire 6A and the Pro Master coil and the Tachometer works like a champ. On the speed-o-meter, I would check to make sure the connector on the back side of the speed-o-meter is fully engaged.

You may want to check the power connector on the back of the speed-o-meter pod. Also, the regulator may be bad on the circuit board, back side of the pod.

mustang7173

73' mach 1,

I have the Mallory Uni-lite with the Mallory Hy-Fire 6A and the Pro Master coil and the Tachometer works like a champ. On the speed-o-meter, I would check to make sure the connector on the back side of the speed-o-meter is fully engaged.

You may want to check the power connector on the back of the speed-o-meter pod. Also, the regulator may be bad on the circuit board, back side of the pod.

mustang7173
With regards to the speedo and tach, I was just going to get the cluster I posted. Based on the price for getting those fixed and calibrated on top of replacing the 3 little gauges would come close to the price of the new cluster.

Back