quick fuel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you Omie01, I can't wait to get a new carb that I can do some tweaking to suit my engine. I shouldn't have to rebuild and modify a new carb for my application, it's not a radical engine build by any means. And after learning more about the SA carbs, I wish I would have done more research on it. Oh well, live and learn & learn some more!

I am ordering a new QFT HR 735 VS that will be set up and should be pretty close for my car. They 7 different engine dyno rooms that they use and have 2 different 351 Cleveland's set up, 1 for street and 1 for race. So for 460 bucks, which is only 20 more than I paid for the SA, I'm going to get a much more tunable carb that will work better on my engine.

If I ever make any changes to my motor in the future, they will help me with any tuning issues if I need it. Can't wait!
 John, That's very interesting news. Please keep me/us up on how it works in the real world. I'm with you now, wishing I'd done a bit more research prior to buying the 670SA, but at the time, I needed a new carb. It was either buy what I could get or not drive the car. I will have to continue with the SA for this year now, limited dollars, but next season, funds available and hopefully a more friendly dollar exchange, I'll follow your lead. Perhaps you could either post the full contact information, or PM me.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Geoff.
Here is the place I'm getting my cab from. I'll for sure post results.

http://stores.ebay.com/RPM-PERFORMANCE-PRODUCTS/CARBURETORS-/_i.html?_fsub=18018901&_sid=66584634&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

So I ordered a new QFT HR 735 VS carb over the weekend. I ended up getting the HR cause it was about 120 bucks cheaper than the SS model & is what they recommended for my car.

I was able to get my car started with the old SA 770 still on it so I could get some vacuum readings to determine approximate cam specs. They were setting it all up for me, so all I should have to do is set the 4 corner idle mixture screws.

It is supposed to be shipped today and I should receive it by tomorrow. I can't wait!

It might be a awhile for me to post results cause of the weather being so cold & crappy, but I will asap. :)

So I ordered a new QFT HR 735 VS carb over the weekend. I ended up getting the HR cause it was about 120 bucks cheaper than the SS model & is what they recommended for my car.

I was able to get my car started with the old SA 770 still on it so I could get some vacuum readings to determine approximate cam specs. They were setting it all up for me, so all I should have to do is set the 4 corner idle mixture screws.

It is supposed to be shipped today and I should receive it by tomorrow. I can't wait!

It might be a awhile for me to post results cause of the weather being so cold & crappy, but I will asap. :)
That's awesome John. Hope the results inspire me to do the same. I/we look forward to hearing from you and like you waiting for the weather to finally warm up.

Geoff.

I will be curious as to how well they do setting up your carb. Please let us all know once you receive the carb and are able to try it out. I had looked at these guys last fall but decided not to pull the trigger at the time since winter was coming and frankly my carb runs pretty decent although I think it could be better.

Another option is brent http://www.lykinsmotorsports.com/

I have 3 custom quick fuel carbs from him. He has a former engineer from quickfuel put them together based on the owner input and not a lot more money.

Hey guys here's an update on the QFT 735 VS.

I received it Saturday and finally started my car up today.  It didn't take to many cranks to get it going and seems to be running pretty darn good for just putting it on. I let it warm up a bit, was idling fine, but I didn't get to try any final settings or drive it yet. It's still pretty cold and it was windy as hell today. 

Seems like it was set up pretty spot on and they even called me to let me know it was on the way. It came with 2 sets of extra bowl gaskets, extra jets and a Ford kickdown bracket and linkage.

The only problem I had was with the kickdown bracket. I had to bend it up quite a bit & now its in the way of the primary idle mixture screw. No big deal, I just have to make or modify the one it came with. I have the kickdown rod adjusted perfectly, but with the bracket they supply its not near tall enough for the spring to clear the throttle lever. I still need to come up with a different bracket, but for now its good enough. The first pic is b4 I bent it up & 2nd is after.009.JPG020.JPG

Hey guys here's an update on the QFT 735 VS.

I received it Saturday and finally started my car up today.  It didn't take to many cranks to get it going and seems to be running pretty darn good for just putting it on. I let it warm up a bit, was idling fine, but I didn't get to try any final settings or drive it yet. It's still pretty cold and it was windy as hell today. 

Seems like it was set up pretty spot on and they even called me to let me know it was on the way. It came with 2 sets of extra bowl gaskets, extra jets and a Ford kickdown bracket and linkage.

The only problem I had was with the kickdown bracket. I had to bend it up quite a bit & now its in the way of the primary idle mixture screw. No big deal, I just have to make or modify the one it came with. I have the kickdown rod adjusted perfectly, but with the bracket they supply its not near tall enough for the spring to clear the throttle lever. I still need to come up with a different bracket, but for now its good enough. The first pic is b4 I bent it up & 2nd is after.
Looks great John. I hope it works out for you.

John J

Alright, I finally was able to test drive my car the last few days. I am very happy with this new carb! After resetting my timing a bit and a very small idle mixture adjustment, it is running very good. Only got to drive about 20-30 miles, but this carb is much more responsive and very smooth running. Can’t wait to drive it some more.

The only thing I had a problem with was the trans kick down spring. With the Holley spring mount for Fords it’s way to low. At least it was for me. I did have to very slightly bend my trans kick down rod because it fit a little different than the SA carb, but it is adjusted perfectly. 

So what I had to do was add a couple of 1/2” spacers under the return spring bracket to raise it above the throttle lever. Otherwise the spring would stretch over and hang up on the throttle lever and then the kick down wouldn’t work properly. I also had to bend the spring return bracket up. 

Anyway this is what I came up with. The first pic is before I did any mods and you can see how the spring is all stretched out over the throttle lever, and the second & 3rd pic is after I fixed it. I didn’t drive it the way is was at first, didn’t look safe. I think I had that spring hanging up a bit with my other carb cause now it downshifts smoother than ever.009.JPG031.JPG032.JPG

Well, my car is running better than ever! It starts very easy when cold, hardly any unburnt fuel spitting out of exhaust. It is very responsive and all I can say is I highly recommend this carb. Plus, it was set up pretty much spot on. I think you’d be very happy with it and the place I got it from. You can actually talk to the guy that will set it up too.

If you want any more info just let me know.

John

Thanks for the info. I will prob go with mechanical secondaries based on my set up but was interested in their customization and how well it was set up.

Back