Quick power steering question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang sportsroof - 351c 2v - fmx trans.
Hello folks, I have a question about the power steering hoses. I am getting ready to install new hoses and the power steering pump on my newly installed engine. Looking at the steering box from the front of the car which hose is the low pressure and which is the high pressure hose? I bought the car as a rolling chassis so there is nothing to for me to go by as a reference.

Thanks in advance.

The fittings are different sizes. If you pick up new hoses from a parts store, they should match up with the right fitting sizes. But I believe the smaller fitting toward the rear [of the installed steering gear box on the car] is the low pressure hose. (That would be the one in the top left of this picture) Either way, they're different sizes - you can't (or rather, shouldn't be able to) mix them up.

-------------------- Front of Car --------------------->>>>

261595_245794592098133_522287_n.jpg

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't put any on mine, since they're flare fittings. I don't see why putting a round on teflon tape on the threads couldn't hurt (for an anti-seize benefit, if nothing else).

Others might know better about these things, though. ;)

Do not use tape on flareded fittings. It will actually give them a means to leak. Same for Brake Lines. Anti seize is O.K. though.

Do you have the short (about 4 inches long) metal line adaptor for the pressure hose at the pump? I'm not certain if the 73s used one but, my 72 did and I didn't have it and as far as I know it is not reproduced. Don at OMS supplied mine. Chuck

Do you have the short (about 4 inches long) metal line adaptor for the pressure hose at the pump? I'm not certain if the 73s used one but, my 72 did and I didn't have it and as far as I know it is not reproduced. Don at OMS supplied mine. Chuck
Good point. I was glad I hadn't tossed out the old pump (or anything, really) when I took it all apart a couple years ago. I was able to clean-up and re-use the adapter for mine.

Thanks for the replies, got the new hoses on to the steering box and didn't use any teflon tape, as mentioned 2 different size fittings so no problems there. I have the short metal tube with the bend at the end that came with the used power steering pump that I bought that had the high pressure hose cut off about a foot down from the fitting (argh!) unfortunately the used power steering pump had pin holes in it so it is unsuable. Trying to find a replacement has been tough my local oreilly's, autozone, napa can't get one, they say the warehouse's have none in stock. I ordered one from macs auto parts and I guess we'll find out tommorrow if they have one or not.

The new power steering hoses look well made and screwed in no problem on to the steering box, the high pressure hose has a fitting that screws right on to the power steering pump but no metal tube with an elbow on it like the factory setup, I am guessing this will still work?

Thanks in advance

Back