Radio mounting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocruise

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 H code
Trying to mount the radio (it's a customsounds USA-740, but I don't think that matters in terms of fitment to the original). Obviously, here's what I'm working with:

1729223631939.png

The radio box mounting area, has 2 screw holes above, and 2 below for the bezel, so how does the radio actually mount to it? When googling for oem support brackets I'm seeing several different types. Which one is actually correct? I'm also seeing some people not use them at all, and just rely on the two knobs mounted to the bezel but that seems incredibly precarious.

If someone could provide a link or a picture to what the OEM mounting looks like that would be fantastic. I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere.

Cheers

Here is a picture of one in an ebay ad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166201606492

The 'hole' goes to the back of the radio and a screw bolts it to the back with the resto of the mount below and under the radio. Then the unit is 'slid' into place with the clip sliding into a a raised slot. It's not secure at this point. The radio bezel goes over the front of the radio and the tuning/volume pegs poke through their holes. Nuts are used to tighten it down to the radio and that holds the radio in place.

Here is a picture of one in an ebay ad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166201606492

The 'hole' goes to the back of the radio and a screw bolts it to the back with the resto of the mount below and under the radio. Then the unit is 'slid' into place with the clip sliding into a a raised slot. It's not secure at this point. The radio bezel goes over the front of the radio and the tuning/volume pegs poke through their holes. Nuts are used to tighten it down to the radio and that holds the radio in place.

Perfect, that's exactly what I needed! Thank you.

That seller is nuts. $60 for that clip is outrageous, anyone could fabricate that for less than a dollar.

I also found this picture of the same clip mounted, I think this lines up with how you've described it:

1729261886976.png

Back