Woodgrain Vinyl Film

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
I've been looking for a suitable pattern for the film used on the deluxe interiors. The pattern ID and source that I had found (on this site) are no longer available. I ordered samples, and in one case, a roll of material, that looked good on the computer screen. Below is a picture comparing the 4 samples to an ACP Center Gauge Bezel and to an OEM Door Panel insert. You can see that the ACP doesn't match up very well with the Door Panel. My car's original Center Gauge Bezel doesn't either, for that matter....it actually looks close enough to the ACP, however.

I took several pictures in an attempt to accurately replicate what I see with the naked eye....This picture is close, but still not right on. Out of these, samples, FW-677 looks the most like the ACP pattern. Amazon 346-0037 close behind.
Unfortunately, I am unable to find a source for the FW-677 in the quantity needed for my door panel inserts. All I can find is a full roll for about $400. I'm going to give the amazon stuff a shot, but I'm concerned it won't hold up to AZ heat.

Attachments

• Woodgrain_Film_Comparison_72_Deluxe_Interior.jpg
    Woodgrain_Film_Comparison_72_Deluxe_Interior.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 2
I've been looking for a suitable pattern for the film used on the deluxe interiors. The pattern ID and source that I had found (on this site) are no longer available. I ordered samples, and in one case, a roll of material, that looked good on the computer screen. Below is a picture comparing the 4 samples to an ACP Center Gauge Bezel and to an OEM Door Panel insert. You can see that the ACP doesn't match up very well with the Door Panel. My car's original Center Gauge Bezel doesn't either, for that matter....it actually looks close enough to the ACP, however.

I took several pictures in an attempt to accurately replicate what I see with the naked eye....This picture is close, but still not right on. Out of these, samples, FW-677 looks the most like the ACP pattern. Amazon 346-0037 close behind.
Unfortunately, I am unable to find a source for the FW-677 in the quantity needed for my door panel inserts. All I can find is a full roll for about $400. I'm going to give the amazon stuff a shot, but I'm concerned it won't hold up to AZ heat.
I can tell you this, FW677 is a 3M Dinoc number.
At my last place of employment I had a great Dinoc sample swatch book with just about everything they had, hundreds of swatches. It was a very handy book for matching stain color and wood type/grain when matching wood sign backers. Not what it was designed for, but it was great for it!

I believe the company we bought from was IDS or maybe Designtex. If I recall they were wholesale only but if you know someone with a business license, you can order a yard or two. Like maybe a friendly sign shop.

I'll see if I can come up with the correct name.

Last edited:
@Mister 4x4 "I went with this DiNoc product instead."
I stayed home! And deleted this fakery :))
door_pony.jpg

@Sheriff41 "Has anyone tried using real wood veneer?"
I have, for the PW bezels. Burned on this close up pict. They are in for over 30 years now.
But at the time the sheets of wood you could get were not thin as you can find them now days. So due to the lack of flexibility I went for leather for the middle console instead.

feneer.jpg

interior.jpg

In my 73, most plastics or fake wood has been replaced with noble stuff. I hate plastic since young age as it was always making me car sick.

For my 71, I don't know yet if I will go the ridiculous but correct fake wood or do a custom interior from scratch again...
The above vinyls are nice tho. Pity they are representing "cut in length" wood, but if i would pick one i'd go for the ACP.

I believe this was our supplier:

https://designerfilms.com/product-category/dinoc-decorative-surface-films/fine-woods/

But I also found this. 1000mm x 1220mm, roughly 39" x 48".
Unlikely they will sell outside their territory, or overseas, but I think the above link will help you find it. Like I said, a friendly sign shop or maybe a Mustang resto shop could be your middleman.
https://amaridigital.com/5638679231-3m-di-noc-fw-677-fine-wood-architectural-1220mm
Don't forget the 3M 94 primer!
Ugh, I get a "404 Not Found" message on the amaridigital link.

Designer Films is who sent me the DI NOC samples...they're also who will sell me a roll for about $400. If you know of a shop that would act as the middleman to get enough for a pair of door inserts, I'll go that route.

I know nothing about using the primer....is it something I could use with another brand of film? I'm thinking that possibly it's something that works like contact cement?

Last edited:
Ugh, I get a "404 Not Found" message on the amaridigital link.

Designer Films is who sent me the DI NOC samples...they're also who will sell me a roll for about $400. If you know of a shop that would act as the middleman to get enough for a pair of door inserts, I'll go that route.

I know nothing about using the primer....is it something I could use with another brand of film? I'm thinking that possibly it's something that works like contact cement?
I don't have any plans to visit the old shop...ever, so that's out. Do you know anyone with an auto shop? Resto or tinting? Or a sign shop? Even if it's a Fastsigns. Anyone that can make a case for needing a 39x48 sample piece. We were paying their minimum of about $170.

The primer 94 is an adhesion promoter. Should work with other brands.
On the Amari link, click it. Then when the 404 page comes up, click the menu at the top left to navigate their site. The link worked fine a couple times, now I get the 404.

Where did you get the DI NOC product? Perhaps they can supply me with a small amount.
I bought some length from the 3M DiNoc store site, but there are plenty of resellers (Amazon, etc.).

Just do a search for "3M DiNoc black carbon fiber" Amazon has a 1'x4' sheet for $25.

Back