Ram air Air cleaner decal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justimagine

Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible Mustang
Hi Does any one have a picture of the 73 mustang convertible Ram air air cleaner decal. and can someone help me with decal positioning in the engine bay.

I am not certain but, I don't believe there was one on the air cleaner with 351C-2V with Ram Air. Some one else (Cobra3073, Fast-E) please jump in and correct me if I am mistaken. I've done a lot of research on 72s and may be able to help with engine bay decal placement. I have a limited amount of reference material. Chuck

71_r-a_base.gif
71_r-a-2.gif

I put that same decal on my air cleaner when I restored it but its not original. It does look the best. I think its from a 69-70 mustang.

Save0031.jpg

My understanding was there was no decal on the air cleaner designating "ram air" since it was on the hood.

I may be mistaken, but I always understood only the 351c 2 bbl came equipped with ram air in 73. I never understood why you could not get it with a 302.

My understanding was there was no decal on the air cleaner designating "ram air" since it was on the hood.

I may be mistaken, but I always understood only the 351c 2 bbl came equipped with ram air in 73. I never understood why you could not get it with a 302.
As I understand it, in 1972 Ford drew a penalty card for "tuning up" some cars during the EPA evaluation cycles. One of those cars was the 4V RA. So only 2V RA was available in 72. I don't know why Ford didn't re-certify the 4V RA engine for 73, perhaps just the expense. I suspect the reason the RA was not offered on the 302 is because Ford wanted to sell engine upgrade options. Chuck

According to the reference (Marti), there were only eleven (11) Mustang Convertibles built with the Ram Air option in 1973. All ram air equipped Mustangs for 1973 were 351 2V.

Additionally, it is my understanding that the 1973 Mustangs with 351 2V did not have "ram air" on the Air Cleaner. They had "351-2V Regular Fuel."

Hope this helps!

BT

Back