Rear deck filler panel for Vert

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone please know of a supplier for the convertible rear deck filler panel? I've looked all over and the consensus is they're no longer available. If they're not, I'll have to get one fabricated but I'd prefer no to. Mine's look a bit tired and needs replacing.

Any help gladly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Does anyone please know of a supplier for the convertible rear cowl panel? I've looked all over and the consensus is they're no longer available. If they're not, I'll have to get one fabricated but I'd prefer no to. Mine's look a bit tired and needs replacing.

Any help gladly appreciated.
Please post a pic of yours to help us identify the area you are referring.

Ray

Yes, here is a photo of the panel:

Rear_Panel_zpsjlzkevyu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The panel has some rust on it (bubbles under the paint) and there's rust under the chrome trim. The panel is also undulating slightly. Guess the rain water has run down the back of the hood and collected under the trim.

Any advice welcome.

This is the panel for the 68 vert. I got the name slightly wrong, it's called a "Deck lid filler panel." I've edited my first post.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=71069+01&Category=Body&subCategory=Deck+Lids+%26+Related&SubSubCategory=Filler+Panels&CatKey=EMUSTANG
Mark,

OK, you've got rust issues there. That's not good news in terms of how bad the rust is per say. To the best of my knowledge, there is no replacement strip panel for that section. I may be wrong, however, cutting out rust properly with replacement sheet metal and mig, can get you well out of trouble. It will be interesting to see what issues you may have when you remove the moulding and vinyl top to reveal the steel channel lip for the water drain off. Again, proper panel beating, spray painting, and rust proofing should see the job right for many a year to come. You will have to find a panel shop that welcomes and does rust repairs properly, even specializes in rust repairs.

Also, that panel is very warped or wavy with big ups and downs on my '73 Vert as well, which is an example of a factory original panel and finish. That's how they were from the factory. I plan to straighten my panel out with beating when i respray my car later.

Greg.:)

Interesting your panel is warped too. Most of the panels on mine were changed when the car was restored a few years back, but the rear deck wasn't. I guess they couldn't find the panel so they tried to repair it, not very successfully. I have booked my car in with a body shop so they can cut the panel out and fabricate a new one.

Thanks for the advice.

Mine is rusted on my convertible also. I've been looking for a replacement for 2 years, no luck yet.

Most Fords of these era rust here. Mine is no different especially since I have a vinyl top on my Torino. If it is just a straight box a simple sheetmetal brake will help you make a new replacement. I'll keep my eyes open for a body with a rear deck lid filler in good shape for you.

Jason

Latest posts

Back