Rear interior panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sport Roof
My rear interior panels are in rough shape. Looks like a dog scratched the heck out of them, some of the scratches are 1/8" deep. Since I'm switching from a ginger interior to black I was planning on painting them anyway, so does anyone have ideas on how to fix them (if possible)?

If they can't be fixed, I was thinking of either A) coating them in resin, then painting, or B) making molds out of them to fab up fiberglass panels. Whatever I do, I want the quarter trim panels and the rear panels to match.

Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think covering them with vinyl would be a good cheap idea. Just make sure you get a good adhesive so the vinyl doesn't peel off when it gets heated up.

I covered mine in speaker carpet and it actually looks pretty good, it helps my dad is a carpet/tile installer.

Hey Buddy, do you have any pictures? I kind of like the carpet idea, especially if I can match it to the new crappy ACC carpet I'm going to order.
I will take some.

Just got to make sure its speaker box carpet, its thin and flexible.

EDIT: I ran out and took some pics real quick, as you can see I put some speakers in mine, I was 17 at the time :dodgy: The carpet got slightly bunched up at the top because of it. The speaker has a few wooden rings under it to give it somewhere to mount, and keep the speaker magnet off the wheel well. Anyways you get the idea, and I'm sure someone else could do a better job than me.

buddy\'s 049.JPG

buddy\'s 050.JPG

If you really want to buy these panels [ they are not great]

Go to ebay, the manufacturer sells them on ebay for WAY less money.

The aftermarket panels looked great and fit well. I was so happy I gave away my OEM panels. The first day it got hot and the PVC plastic bubbled. Now they look like hell even if I were to cover them in vinyl the bumps from the bubbling would show.

I like the Idea of covering them, I have the same problem. I worked in a custom truck shop for 2 years where one of our projects we did on a regular basis was to customize brand new chevy avalanche's. We would take the plastic exterior panels that were argent/or charcoal in color and sand off as much of the texture as possible and then prime with buildable then sand and paint the same color of the truck. It looked real nice on the exterior. I was kicking around something like that for these badly scratched interior panels but at this point Im just thinking out loud. I have a while before I have to make those decisions but I often think about what I may do, if something suitable isn't available when the time comes. The more I think about covering them the more i like it. sorry for the ramble

This is actually the company that makes the aftermarket panels. The price just went up in the last few weeks the were $119. The company did sell them on ebay for $119 but they no longer do and they jacked the price up. Go figure inflation!

http://www.mpproductsstore.com/rear-quarter-trim-panles.html

Product Description

1971 1972 1973 MUSTANG INTERIOR QUARTER TRIMS FOR MACH 1, BOSS, AND SPORTSROOF. Do you have old, cracked, or delaminating quarter trims? Try these new ABS Quarter Trim Panels. These are vacuum-formed and made to outlast the originals. Great quality and great fit!

Back