convertible interior recommendation needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusCala

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible - All Stock. Nice but could use a serious resto.

[url=https://ibb.co/bJk1YRg][img]https://i.ibb.co/q5vBhFM/Mustang-and-Camaro.jpg[/img][/url]

It's the one on the right.
Looking for recommendations since I'm considering re-doing the interior on my 73 convertible. This model has ginger interior. The worst part of the interior is the drivers seat, followed by the drivers side deluxe door panel arm rest. Both door panels have faded vinyl on the top. Door panels have been hacked to add stereo speakers. The rear seat is nearly perfect, dash has a small crack that is not too noticeable. Rear quarters are a bit sun parched, but most of the faux leather grain is intact - perhaps paint them? Carpet is OK but needs to be replaced. So, Questions are: Can the drivers side arm rest be repaired and if so, can the sun bleached parts be repainted with vinyl paint? Can I just add new carpet inserts to the door panels to cover up the holes for the speakers? I'm pretty sure I will need new seat upholstery (pair). Given today's environment (10-2023) is there a preferred supplier for any these interior parts?

Attachments

• 20231017_160055.jpg
    20231017_160055.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231019_155839.jpg
    20231019_155839.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231019_155847.jpg
    20231019_155847.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231019_160427.jpg
    20231019_160427.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231017_160100.jpg
    20231017_160100.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I'm not a fan of repainting/dyeing interior parts. I've done it, and my perspective is that it can work well with parts that don't get touched or worn much. Even with really good prep, I think its very hard to get a long-lasting color saturation on parts like seats or other "high-touch" components. If the color is still good on the rest of the interior, you might just consider replacing the heavily worn parts. If the rest of the parts are too faded to allow you to be selective, it can turn into a costly venture.

I like NPD, and use CJ Pony on occasion. CJ's customer service has had issues, but more often than not, I get decent support from them. Kentucky Mustang and Ohio Mustang are other very good vendors.

Just Dashes does vinyl resurfacing/recovering of interior parts in the proper grain and color. They are Very Proud of their work, and they have every right to be. If you go that route, I would send in everything - door panels, rear interior quarters and the dash pad, as anything not done will look, well, old.

I used SEM for recoloring, bought TMI seat covers, door panels, and most everything came from NPD after having bad experiences at CJPony. The door panels and seat covers and new foam are big $, the new dash pad was under $200

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpeg
    IMG_2416.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I used SEM for recoloring, bought TMI seat covers, door panels, and most everything came from NPD after having bad experiences at CJPony. The door panels and seat covers and new foam are big $, the new dash pad was under $200
Thanks for the info. I've used SEM to touch up a 69 Camaro I restored in the 90s. It worked fine and held up OK. My plan is to use the SEM on my hard plastic parts too. RE: the reset of the interior, I've been looking for NPD/TMI options but have a hard time finding stuff on their site. I've seen complete interior set bundles from a brand called Supreme on the CJ site, but I've not heard of that brand before, and don't know the quality, and can't find r if they provide the comfort weave option. I'll keep looking, and may have to resort to actually talking with someone at NPD or CJ (lol).

Hi Gus,

From a pro spray painters point of view, and not to get too technical here, i would basically say that when it comes to any type of paint/dye coating, you will NOT get the same or better durability/performance/wear&tear than any new factory produced vinyl or plastic material.

That said, coatings do have a place and serve a purpose in refinishing plastics and vinyls and leathers that have deteriorated or need color changing, and if applied correctly and properly, do have a reasonable durability to them, but still can't match the durability and performance of a new vinyl or plastic product.

The catch is of course, replacing most or all of the deteriorated (or to color change), vinyls/ plastics in a classic car is quite an expensive thing to do, compared to refinishing the surfaces with paints or dyes. That is why a lot of people choose the refinish path, as it is a much cheaper/easy way to get out of jail so to speak. Worn out/cracked/ distorted arm rests on the deluxe door cards are very hard to repair from a DIY approach, and the better solution is to replace with a new after market card.

So the choice is yours - replacing vinyl and plastics brings a better looking, longer lasting professional end result compared to refinishing your existing surfaces with paints and dyes, but unfortunately, will end up costing you a considerable lot more. It comes down to how deep are your pockets.

One last comment on a technical point to consider - when it comes to refinishing some plastics/vinyls and leathers, you run into a catch 22 situation. That is, plastics and vinyls come in a variety of types and rigidities. When refinishing them, you are chasing the best adhesion and correct film build you can for that surface. Good adhesion can be achieved with using clear plastic primers, and scuffing with the correct grades of sandpapers The problems arise, in the more flexible and stretchy the vinyl substrate is, the more flexible and stretchy the paint or dye has to be as well, to basically match the flex factor of the substrate. If i doesn't match up properly, the coating will eventually break down with problems such as cracking/ peeling etc will occur.

As well, the thicker the coating you are applying, the less flex it will have. That is why for example, you are refinishing a flexible vinyl seat, you need to thin down the paint quite a lot, use flex aid additives, and only apply limited, thin, light coats to avoid thick film builds. Unfortunately, you sacrifice decent film build, and so the finish will tend to wear much more faster. More rigid non flex plastics and vinyls don't present this flex problem, and are more successful in being refinished as such. They allow greater film builds, and present greater durability outcomes. So the more flexible a substrate is, the more problems it brings to achieve a good, long wearing and lasting result. Also, carpets can be refinished with dye products as well, with reasonable results achieved, but again a better result is to replace the entire carpet with a new product.

Hope that all helps,

Greg.

UPDATE! My apologies Gus. I revisited your first post on this topic and reviewed your photos of your interior. Sorry i did not tune into them much at first. However, they do tell a story to me, and the news is not all that good for you in my opinion. You didn't mention in your post if you were going to keep the ginger theme or go for a major color change. In any case, let me assume you are going to stay with the ginger theme. I think it will play out this way for you as you will 1. need to replace the driver's door card as it's toast (speaker hole plus ruined arm rest), and the passenger's door card ( speaker hole). 2. Driver's seat upholstery is toast, and will need replacing (maybe foam inserts as well) 3. fiberglass quarter panels need refinishing or replacing. This can be done with acrylic lacquer or 2pack paints (color match needed here), or better still, can be recovered with ginger vinyl to match the door cards or seats. That all said, the problem overall is matching all the parts up to look uniform in finish, appearance and color. By this i mean that to make it all look uniform and decent, you would have to replace both door cards, and replace the two front seats upholstery and as well replace the rear seat upholstery to match the new front seats. (ie. it's a gamble that the new front seats will match the old rear seat. You might get lucky there or maybe not). It's worth noting that the ginger seat and door card finish or pattern can't be replicated properly with paint coatings as such . Trying to color match the ginger solid color can be very tricky as well, and would need to be carried out by a pro painter. It's also worth noting that in many ginger interiors, original or not, you will see noticeable color variations with different parts that display a solid ginger color finish. That's just the way it goes for our cars i'm afraid. See my pics below). In that regard, color uniformity can be achieved by accurately color matching a particular part, and then refinishing all other solid color parts around the interior to match. Your cracked dash pad may be able to be repaired, color matched and resprayed with lacquer or 2 pack paints, but i would need to see up close pics of the crack to make a final call on that, as adversed to the need to replace the whole dash pad as such. But best bet IMO, would be to bite the bullet, have a chat with your bank manager, and replace the parts i have suggested above, plus refinish all your solid color parts for color unification. Which ever way you decide to go, all the best with the project and end results.

Attachments

• 2023-10-22 19_36_22-Window.png
    2023-10-22 19_36_22-Window.png
    911.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-10-22 19_36_04-Window.png
    2023-10-22 19_36_04-Window.png
    812.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-10-22 19_35_48-Window.png
    2023-10-22 19_35_48-Window.png
    891.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-10-22 19_35_20-Window.png
    2023-10-22 19_35_20-Window.png
    776 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-10-22 19_35_02-Window.png
    2023-10-22 19_35_02-Window.png
    734.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-10-22 19_34_39-Window.png
    2023-10-22 19_34_39-Window.png
    893.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-10-22 19_34_25-Window.png
    2023-10-22 19_34_25-Window.png
    953.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've used SEM to touch up a 69 Camaro I restored in the 90s. It worked fine and held up OK. My plan is to use the SEM on my hard plastic parts too. RE: the reset of the interior, I've been looking for NPD/TMI options but have a hard time finding stuff on their site. I've seen complete interior set bundles from a brand called Supreme on the CJ site, but I've not heard of that brand before, and don't know the quality, and can't find r if they provide the comfort weave option. I'll keep looking, and may have to resort to actually talking with someone at NPD or CJ (lol).
Just an fyi, not sure how much you have dealt with sellers of Mustang restoration parts….I probably spent 12-15k on various things to refurbish my mustang and bought from 10 or more vendors over 2.5 years recently …by far, CJs was the worst…they will mark an item as in stock, and as soon as you complete the order, you will get notices that 25% or more of the pile of parts you need to complete that phase of your work is out of stock…in other words, you can’t complete the task. No one else has done this. I have ordered tons from NPD, they absolutely stand behind everything. I have ordered from many smaller vendors like west coast cougars, Kentucky Mustang, Midlife harnesses, Ohio Mustang, summit, ebay, all of them great!! Even in the forums there are well known used parts dealers like motor city mustangs(ebay), all great. Skip CJs, at any cost.

Sheriff41, Thanks for link. I'll check it out. I've used their stuff before, and had good results.
Be sure to use the adhesion promoter for the interior rear quarter trim panels. It works great on parts like that and consoles and the like. I doubt it would hold up on a seat. Oven cleaner worked great as a cleaner on my panels. Just have a hose at hand and do not let it sit too long. Get some front upholstery, dash pad, and carpet if you need it. I bought repop door panels and took my time fitting them. They fit great

Hi Gus,

From a pro spray painters point of view, and not to get too technical here, i would basically say that when it comes to any type of paint/dye coating, you will NOT get the same or better durability/performance/wear&tear than any new factory produced vinyl or plastic material.

That said, coatings do have a place and serve a purpose in refinishing plastics and vinyls and leathers that have deteriorated or need color changing, and if applied correctly and properly, do have a reasonable durability to them, but still can't match the durability and performance of a new vinyl or plastic product.

The catch is of course, replacing most or all of the deteriorated (or to color change), vinyls/ plastics in a classic car is quite an expensive thing to do, compared to refinishing the surfaces with paints or dyes. That is why a lot of people choose the refinish path, as it is a much cheaper/easy way to get out of jail so to speak. Worn out/cracked/ distorted arm rests on the deluxe door cards are very hard to repair from a DIY approach, and the better solution is to replace with a new after market card.

So the choice is yours - replacing vinyl and plastics brings a better looking, longer lasting professional end result compared to refinishing your existing surfaces with paints and dyes, but unfortunately, will end up costing you a considerable lot more. It comes down to how deep are your pockets.

One last comment on a technical point to consider - when it comes to refinishing some plastics/vinyls and leathers, you run into a catch 22 situation. That is, plastics and vinyls come in a variety of types and rigidities. When refinishing them, you are chasing the best adhesion and correct film build you can for that surface. Good adhesion can be achieved with using clear plastic primers, and scuffing with the correct grades of sandpapers The problems arise, in the more flexible and stretchy the vinyl substrate is, the more flexible and stretchy the paint or dye has to be as well, to basically match the flex factor of the substrate. If i doesn't match up properly, the coating will eventually break down with problems such as cracking/ peeling etc will occur.

As well, the thicker the coating you are applying, the less flex it will have. That is why for example, you are refinishing a flexible vinyl seat, you need to thin down the paint quite a lot, use flex aid additives, and only apply limited, thin, light coats to avoid thick film builds. Unfortunately, you sacrifice decent film build, and so the finish will tend to wear much more faster. More rigid non flex plastics and vinyls don't present this flex problem, and are more successful in being refinished as such. They allow greater film builds, and present greater durability outcomes. So the more flexible a substrate is, the more problems it brings to achieve a good, long wearing and lasting result. Also, carpets can be refinished with dye products as well, with reasonable results achieved, but again a better result is to replace the entire carpet with a new product.

Hope that all helps,

Greg.

UPDATE! My apologies Gus. I revisited your first post on this topic and reviewed your photos of your interior. Sorry i did not tune into them much at first. However, they do tell a story to me, and the news is not all that good for you in my opinion. You didn't mention in your post if you were going to keep the ginger theme or go for a major color change. In any case, let me assume you are going to stay with the ginger theme. I think it will play out this way for you as you will 1. need to replace the driver's door card as it's toast (speaker hole plus ruined arm rest), and the passenger's door card ( speaker hole). 2. Driver's seat upholstery is toast, and will need replacing (maybe foam inserts as well) 3. fiberglass quarter panels need refinishing or replacing. This can be done with acrylic lacquer or 2pack paints (color match needed here), or better still, can be recovered with ginger vinyl to match the door cards or seats. That all said, the problem overall is matching all the parts up to look uniform in finish, appearance and color. By this i mean that to make it all look uniform and decent, you would have to replace both door cards, and replace the two front seats upholstery and as well replace the rear seat upholstery to match the new front seats. (ie. it's a gamble that the new front seats will match the old rear seat. You might get lucky there or maybe not). It's worth noting that the ginger seat and door card finish or pattern can't be replicated properly with paint coatings as such . Trying to color match the ginger solid color can be very tricky as well, and would need to be carried out by a pro painter. It's also worth noting that in many ginger interiors, original or not, you will see noticeable color variations with different parts that display a solid ginger color finish. That's just the way it goes for our cars i'm afraid. See my pics below). In that regard, color uniformity can be achieved by accurately color matching a particular part, and then refinishing all other solid color parts around the interior to match. Your cracked dash pad may be able to be repaired, color matched and resprayed with lacquer or 2 pack paints, but i would need to see up close pics of the crack to make a final call on that, as adversed to the need to replace the whole dash pad as such. But best bet IMO, would be to bite the bullet, have a chat with your bank manager, and replace the parts i have suggested above, plus refinish all your solid color parts for color unification. Which ever way you decide to go, all the best with the project and end results.
Hi Austin,
I also have a concertible with ginger/saddle interior that is partly a bit worn out. I would give a try with the new paints but can someone give the right color codes (PPG for instance) for the metal and plastic parts? They seem a bit different.
Regards,
Renxus

Hi Austin,
I also have a concertible with ginger/saddle interior that is partly a bit worn out. I would give a try with the new paints but can someone give the right color codes (PPG for instance) for the metal and plastic parts? They seem a bit different.
Regards,
Renxus
Hi Renxus,

They are different.

Here is a link to a previous thread/post on ginger interior paint colors/ codes etc. It should be of great help to you. Just remember that if you try to import rattle can paints to Estonia from the US, THEN SHIPPING FLAMMABLE GOODS WOULD BE A PROBLEM. You would be better off trying to find paints in your own country. Also, bare in mind that there are a few different ginger colors around the interior of that color scheme, so my approach would be for you to find a local auto smash repair shop, and see if they would be kind enough to make up some auto paint that is custom color matched to a certain interior part of your choosing. That would then be your go to, base reference, universal color, to paint any other interior parts that needed color changing.

Link .................................... https://7173mustangs.com/threads/ginger-interior-paint-colors.31104/

Greg.:)

Back