Rear Shocks, 73 4v Staggard

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1. Originally 2V but going 4V soon!
Last edited by a moderator:
AGX shocks generally are in the $100 ballpark each.

I obtained a pair of Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks for the rear of my car, pricing is about the same as the KYB's. Sorry, I don't have the Rancho # available.

Short answer on the coilover rears... no.

Like using an air shock from back in the day, they will work, lift the back end, but the mount points on the chassis are not designed to carry any of the car's weight.

The coilovers/air shocks are a hokey fix for a problem that doesn't involve what shock absorbers were designed to do.

I keep hearing that the air shocks or coil over shocks tear up the mounts. I put the coil overs on when my car was new like first week. They all sat low in the rear when brand new. That was the stance of the cars. I never saw any damage. I also have two cars with air shocks same no damage. I think you see the damage on cars that have rusted away half the metal thickness or more then you have weak metal. There is zero rust on my cars. I have seen the leaf springs come through the trunk floor not because the springs were bad but because our #1 enemy rust weakened it.

In fact I am pretty sure that Ford sold the air shocks for when you pulled a trailer. Lots of people back then pulled ski boats with them.

People have been know to jump these cars and that really hammers them. I would not say that they are bad without knowing the full history on the car.

Back