Reattaching convertible top to rear window glass

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkelley72

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang convertible
Anyone had any luck finding a permanent way to reattach the rear window glass to the bottom strip of the convertible top? Mine came loose years ago. It's not bad, rotten or damaged, just detached from the glass. Before I start experimenting with various glues I figured someone else has already been through that process and could share their wisdom. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

If it has only come partially loose, Loctite GO2 Glue may work for you. I did this a couple years ago on my 2003 GT convertible where a section was separating and it's held up well. I cleaned the glass and the top with isopropyl alcohol, glued per the instructions on the glue, and used tape to hold it in place until dry. I have to say I didn't expect it to work but pleased it has.

Mask and etch the glass (light sandblast) and use Barge cement (original) holds just about everything.

When making the repair, should the top be under tension (top up) or no tension for best results? I would assume you would want to do this with the top up so as not to put stress on the repair. Commonsense, right?

Back