Removing the rear curtain? How to?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
Hello,

I posted in another forum that my rear glass has separated from the seal on the bottom. I'm going to have to replace the curtain at some point but until then I need to repair/tape it to get by.

It looks like the rear curtain will unzip along the top but how is it attached and removed from the bottom? I haven't removed the well liner yet.

Thanks!

Scott

After you remove the chrome strips, the glass sits inside a slice in the rubber. The rubber is only lightly glued beneath. If you go inside the car it can easily be pushed up at the corner using both hands very slowly.

After you remove the chrome strips, the glass sits inside a slice in the rubber. The rubber is only lightly glued beneath. If you go inside the car it can easily be pushed up at the corner using both hands very slowly.
Thanks for the guidance but I do have a couple of questions.

Chrome strips - the ones near the trunk deck lid on the outside?

"glass sits inside a slice in the rubber" - I'm not sure what that means. The glass WAS sealed to a bit of rubber along the bottom of the glass but that has separated.

"If you go inside the car it can easily be pushed up at the corner using both hands very slowly." - Am I in the trunk at this point? I'm assuming that after releasing the bottom attaching point of the curtain, I'd unzip it and pull it up and out.

Thanks again...

Scott

Theoretically the glass by itself cannot be replaced so you have to remove the material below the glass with it, which Ford calls the back curtain. Replacement windows come with the curtain.

Here is the 1973 Ford Shop Manual instructions for the back curtain replacement.

73MustangTopRemovalPg1.jpg

73MustangTopRemovalPg2.jpg

Sorry, Didn't realize I was dealing with a convertable.
No worries. Thanks for trying!

Scott

Theoretically the glass by itself cannot be replaced so you have to remove the material below the glass with it, which Ford calls the back curtain. Replacement windows come with the curtain.

Here is the 1973 Ford Shop Manual instructions for the back curtain replacement.

73MustangTopRemovalPg1.jpg

73MustangTopRemovalPg2.jpg
Wow! Now that's DETAILED! Thanks for sharing those diagrams. I'll have to find a set of 73 shop manuals. I just may have some packed away in boxes that haven't see daylight in, well, a loooong time!

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Man the rust must be really bad in your Fastback if you are giving vert advice, think I will just sit back and maybe learn someting from you:p

Man the rust must be really bad in your Fastback if you are giving vert advice, think I will just sit back and maybe learn someting from you:p
I didn't know the Fastback windows had zippers in them! ;)

This is way of topic but.....................he is just one day post surgery so we will give him a break..........UMMMM not a chance

This is way of topic but.....................he is just one day post surgery so we will give him a break..........UMMMM not a chance
Since you get picked on almost every day, I thought I would give you a break and pick on Mark a little bit! All in fun!!!

Since you get picked on almost every day, I thought I would give you a break and pick on Mark a little bit! All in fun!!!
LOL he can handle it, if not pretty sure its not the first time this week he has been mad:D

Back