Replaced Exterior Door Handles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambot

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Has anyone replaced the exterior door handles, and lock on a 71 Mach 1? Do you have pictures of how you accomplished this feat? Any help would be appreciated. THanks.

Yes I have but I did not take pictures while doing so. It is a pretty straight forward process, just don't forget the exterior gasket that goes between the handle and the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Jeremycfr notes, once you have the interior door panel off, you'll see what needs to be done. Be careful not to break the rod clips.

As Jeremycfr notes, once you have the interior door panel off, you'll see what needs to be done. Be careful not to break the rod clips.
So we took the interior panel off. Did you guys have to remove the glass? or do you just lift it all the way up? Or does the front of the door come off somehow? Sorry, it' s my first time doing this, and couldn't really find anything on it on the net.

20r8jlh.jpg

in my 72 i just raised the glass up with the regulator and had access to the door handles and key.

it is tight but you should be able to get inside.

both my handles were broken (springs broke) the linkage in my car was all bent up from the previous owner trying to slim jim the door open from the inside. so i took the key out as well to straighten everything.

i did take the glass out later to change the whiskers and to change the regulator out. pull the paper water shield off and just replace it later you can order new ones.

Remove the 4 screws at the top of the door rubber seal at the window

to reveal a hole to access with a long screwdriver the door lock cylinder rod clip.

Pull the horshoe clip that retains the lock cylinder by rocking it back and forth.

Paul

Thanks everyone! I'll try this out!
Sorry I'm not much help here but I was as just curious, where did you get your exterior handles, who is the manufacturer and how is the fit. I'm going to be buying a pair sometime soon. I've heard that some of the repros don't fit as good as others and that the handles stick out further than the originals.

I got Dorman EXT Door Handle repops $35 ea and the fit is good but they look

slightly different than the originals, Ebay

Nice bling function fine but not concourse.

My originals were toasted broken springs rigged lever pitted badly!

Paul

I stock the handles

51.95 pair

Don
Thanks for the reply Don. I take it that these are the best repro on the market? Does this price include shipping? Could you PM me. I'm interested. Thanks Ryan.

[align=center]

Thanks everyone! I'll try this out!
Sorry I'm not much help here but I was as just curious, where did you get your exterior handles, who is the manufacturer and how is the fit. I'm going to be buying a pair sometime soon. I've heard that some of the repros don't fit as good as others and that the handles stick out further than the originals.
I got mine from California Mustang, I'll check the likeness to the original tomorrow when I go over to my dad's house. That's where my Mach 1 is currently located while I work on it. I'll make sure to take pics. [/align]

I stock the handles

51.95 pair

Don
Thanks for the reply Don. I take it that these are the best repro on the market? Does this price include shipping? Could you PM me. I'm interested. Thanks Ryan.
I went with a set from OMS (locks AND handles) - they worked out great!

Here is what my handle looks like. I only bought one, but I might have to buy the one for the passenger side. I wasn't actually able to get it installed today, because I broke the retainer clips for both the handle and the lock. I couldn't figure out a way to remove them without breaking them. They cost $8 each. Am waiting on those to arrive. I'll follow up with installation instructions, my younger brother and I figured it out today. I like the handle seems to be an exact replica, except for the pattern on the handle itself. Seems to be horizontal as to were original it's angled. Whatever, my car is a restomod, I'm not a purist, I just want it to look sexy once it's all done and my brothers and I can all enjoy it. I don't know if I posted it here, but I bought the car as a restoration project for myself and my brothers, and a cousin who's like a brother to me to do. It's been great for bonding.

21otpp2.jpg

You can see the retainer clip on the latch that goes to the cylinder lock. There's one for the door handle, and there's one for the lock cylinder.

169kdcl.jpg

I broke the clips Bill.... any advice on how to remove them without breaking??

I stock the handles

51.95 pair

Don
I should have bought the pair from the get go, seeing as how faded mine are. Thanks for posting Don, I've browsed through your site extensively as I've prepared my list for parts I will be needing.

Last edited by a moderator:
you pop them down off the rod then turn them to release the rod.

on the back side of the clip in the photo you can see the little tab you push on

I stock the handles

51.95 pair

Don
I just checked against CJ pony parts, which is where I normally get a lot of my parts, even with Free Shipping, OMS are cheaper by $10 with shipping included. I would have gotten mine at OMS had I known. Sometimes you check all sorts of websites, and still make mistakes ha. It's cheaper to buy the pair, also, dont forget to get the gaskets to protect your paint.

you pop them down off the rod then turn them to release the rod.

on the back side of the clip in the photo you can see the little tab you push on
Is this what you mean, you push down on that little tab, and then once that's freed, you turn it to release the rod?

2rzfjwg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No use the tab to move the clip into position 2, that pops it off the rod, then continue to turn the clip away from the rod, that should release the rod allowing you to pull it away from the bracket.

Some people start to pull the rod thinking it pops off the clip. But you pop the clip from the rod first allowing the rod to come out

No use the tab to move the clip into position 2, that pops it off the rod, then continue to turn the clip away from the rod, that should release the rod allowing you to pull it away from the bracket.
Thanks, I'll give it a try once I get going on passenger door. I should probably order what I need now, so I can do both on the same day.

Latest posts

Back