replacement panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mistake - I interpreted one of your photos reverse of what it should have been. Yours doesn't have the box. Leave the trunk floor hole untouched.

-Kurt

My mistake - I interpreted one of your photos reverse of what it should have been. Yours doesn't have the box. Leave the trunk floor hole untouched.

-Kurt

ohh ok thanks for the input man, I appreciate it

No problem - in fact, the photos of your car is psyching me up for the NY-sourced rustbucket I worked my way into restoring.

Out of curiosity, what sealer did you use on the floorpans? What about the filler used over the plug welds on the trunk floor?

-Kurt

No problem - in fact, the photos of your car is psyching me up for the NY-sourced rustbucket I worked my way into restoring.

Out of curiosity, what sealer did you use on the floorpans? What about the filler used over the plug welds on the trunk floor?

-Kurt
Don't use bondo or regular body filler..big no no on PANELS like floors..trunks..structural components. Use u-pol fibral FIRST then finish with regular filler..http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/u-pol-fibral-sandable-glass-fiber-paste-p-15131.aspx

Don't use bondo or regular body filler..big no no on PANELS like floors..trunks..structural components. Use u-pol fibral FIRST then finish with regular filler..http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/u-pol-fibral-sandable-glass-fiber-paste-p-15131.aspx
That wouldn't happen to be the same stuff often used in place of lead at the roof-to-quarter seam, would it?

IIRC, I recall that you are partial to making patch pieces to bridge the gap, but in the case of a lead substitute only, is this the usual?

-Kurt

-Kurt
why wouldn't you use bongo on those types of panels?

Cause Desi would be pissed.

desi_arnaz.jpg

Sorry, had to ;)

-Kurt

Cause BONGO is porous sucks in moisture like a sponge same thing with lacquer primers ..Most plug welds in those panels are on a hidden seam or layered with multiple flanges...I've taken apart plenty of cars that have had replacement panels done..plug welds filled with bondo..you always find a ring of rust right around the plug weld..

Cause BONGO is porous sucks in moisture like a sponge same thing with lacquer primers ..Most plug welds in those panels are on a hidden seam or layered with multiple flanges...I've taken apart plenty of cars that have had replacement panels done..plug welds filled with bondo..you always find a ring of rust right around the plug weld..
hahaha ok man, sounds good thanks for all the advice. this is my first car im restoring so im learning everything as I build it.

Back