Report from racing the Muscletang at the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge at Road America this past weekend (6/30/2024)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I have been very busy with Hot Rod Power Tour and then getting ready for the Ultimate Street Car Challenge at Road America. The event was great. Weather was great except for rain Friday morning but that was the getting there day and setup. Many cars from vintage to modern, many amazing car enthusiast and amazing group of organizers. The Muscletang did great! The car felt great with no issues over the weekend which was a huge win given the challenging and quantity of events. There were 7 autocross runs, 7 acceleration/braking runs and 3 road course sessions. I am glad that was the case because I drove the 100+ miles from home to the track and back. I placed 11 out of 19 competitors that started in the GTV class, and 38 out of 70 starters overall. This is huge given that I am going against many sponsored and shop owned cars. This event consists of 5 segments: autocross, acceleration & braking, road course, street rally (which is just showing that you can drive in the street for a few miles) and design & engineering (where you show the judges the work you have done in the car). I also set my personal best at Road America with a time of 2:51.011 (with the Bend - no Kink) and a top speed best of 137mph.
I completed a few mods over the winter to address some issues I was having at speed. The biggest mod, which I still have to write a separate post for, was not related to a problem but just that I was searching for more power. I replaced the iron 4V heads with CHI's 4V heads, including new beehive springs and valves. This mod helped me in being 5 seconds and 8 mph faster. The other issue I got fixed is that last year I was having a vibration from the front of the car when at 120mph. My suspicions were that it was related to the flat panel I added from the front spoiler back to the strut rod crossmember. Over the winter I added structure to the front valance and added a support for this flat panel between the spoiler and the crossmember. The other mod was improving the oil management of the oil pan. I purchased a new oil pan and made some mods to it to improve. I think they worked because the Accusump oil reservoir did not kick in during the road course. I saw the light coming on a couple times during autocross and a couple times during hard downhill braking. The other improvement was the rear axle oil that was leaking through the vent at high speeds. For that I added a catch can to capture the oil. The catch can is a bit higher than the vent so when I slow down the oil drains itself back to the axle. This worked great. Oil leakage gone! I owe a lot of writing in regards to those mods so I will get to it on other posts.

Here are some links and videos:
Results (GTV class): https://clubregistration.net/clients/usca/results/overall.cfm?eventID=14071

Video of Road Course best lap:
Video of Autocross best lap:
Video of Speed Stop (acceleration & braking):

Course and speed information from TrackAddict app:
Screenshot_20240701-220826_TrackAddict.jpg
20240629_094343.jpg

Autocross grid for GTV class:
20240629_085854.jpg

Getting ready for the design and engineering segment:
20240630_132813.jpg

Last edited:
You're doing what 99% of vintage car hobbyists only dream of --- kudos to your efforts. That track run looks like so much fun. I've driven Watkins Glen track a few times in my 69 vert, but at nothing close to the speeds you are reaching.

Thank you! I can only trust my setup because the whole drivetrain has been replaced and upgraded. The only original part is the axle housing. Otherwise I would be scared as well.
There are a few things here and there from the driving perspective that I could do to get better. These videos are very helpful!

Back