Resetting Turn-Signal Cancelling Cam

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
I recently replaced my 4-turn steering box with a 3-turn steering box (thread: https://7173mustangs.com/threads/need-opinions-on-redhead-steering.40773/).

Works great! EXCEPT: Now when I use my directionals, they don't always turn off (cancel). My theory is that now that I have a quick-ratio steering box, I'm not turning my steering wheel enough to cause the cancel. If I take a REALLY deliberate turn, the cancel works. If I take a normal turn (in which I'm turning the wheel 25% less than I used to) it doesn't.

Is the cancelling cam adjustable?

I recently replaced my 4-turn steering box with a 3-turn steering box (thread: https://7173mustangs.com/threads/need-opinions-on-redhead-steering.40773/).

Works great! EXCEPT: Now when I use my directionals, they don't always turn off (cancel). My theory is that now that I have a quick-ratio steering box, I'm not turning my steering wheel enough to cause the cancel. If I take a REALLY deliberate turn, the cancel works. If I take a normal turn (in which I'm turning the wheel 25% less than I used to) it doesn't.

Is the cancelling cam adjustable?
Negative, Pardner.

I have a close-ratio steering box, and don't have this issue. I did have a new column harness plus made sure the steering wheel was set up exactly on center when I did the installation, but I'm not sure that's really the issue. Is the cam original?

I have a close-ratio steering box, and don't have this issue. I did have a new column harness plus made sure the steering wheel was set up exactly on center when I did the installation, but I'm not sure that's really the issue. Is the cam original?
Hmm. I'll pull the steering wheel and check the condition of the cam.

Granted that in some occasions I have to cancel it manually because of the reduced turning of the steering.

That IS the issue I'm trying to fight. :)
It does work, but it works less often because of the reduced turning. Not a huge issue, just thought there might be an adjustment. :)

I don't see anything broken. Does this all look correct?

Is there any chance that the centerpiece with the pin in it is adjustable so moving the pin to the second hole is for quick ratio?

Attachments

• PXL_20220520_123220932.jpg
    PXL_20220520_123220932.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20220520_123237149.jpg
    PXL_20220520_123237149.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back