Reverse lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dad's car

Reaction score
My Car
inherited from father, who never drove it. Need to get it on the road again.
73 Mach 1 canadian edition (rear defrost and block heater)
Just remembered that my back up lights are not connected to the transmission. I have found the wire that comes out near the gear shift lever, but not finding a switch to connect to. Does anyone know what kind of switch is used or where it is located to activate the back up lights. Worst case scenario I can put a a toggle switch in the car.

Thanks

Just remembered that my back up lights are not connected to the transmission. I have found the wire that comes out near the gear shift lever, but not finding a switch to connect to. Does anyone know what kind of switch is used or where it is located to activate the back up lights. Worst case scenario I can put a a toggle switch in the car.

Thanks
On my 71, the safety neutral (on the tranny) switch serves 2 purposes. 2 wires kill the power to the starter relay in all gears except park and neutral. (hence the name). The other 2 wires make the connections to the reverse lights when reverse is engaged.

hope this helps...

The neutral safety switch has an adjustment described in detail in the Ford shop manuals. If you have the manuals use the detailed procedure. If not, the bottom line on the adjustment is to loosen (don't remove) the two small hex bolts that secure the switch to the trans and rotate the switch CW or CCW until both functions of the switch operate. This assumes the backup light circuit is otherwise good. It could be other things, wiring bad, 2 bulbs out, the NSS itself bad. If you take the kick down lever loose hold the lever while loosening the nut so the switch is not over rotated and damaged. Chuck

Thanks for the help. Should have mentioned that I have a 4 speed manual.

That's what I was looking for. For whatever reason mine is missing

Back