• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Roller perches

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
I want to gage interest in how many would want a set of roller spring perches. I am thinking of building a few sets to sell. They would be built from all new components, fully assembled, ready to bolt in. I am thinking about pricing at $199.00 a pair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the D.I.Y. kit and they weren't bad to assemble. Powder coated them and they look and work great.

I want to gage interest in how many would want a set of roller spring perches. I am thinking of building a few sets to sell. They would be built from all new components, fully assembled, ready to bolt in. I am thinking about pricing at $199.00 a pair.
Of course this comes along and I bought a set last month.

See - for some reason I was thinking you were talking about 'roller rocker perches,' was anxiously waiting to see what you had come up with. ;) :D

Could these roller spring perches be used with an otherwise completely stock set-up, or are we talking about 'as part of a complete' suspension system? (Since I know you've been upgrading your suspension)

And - what's the advantage to roller spring perches vice the stock set-up on an otherwise all stock suspension system?

Inquiring minds gotta know! :D

a roller spring perch frees up the front spring movement so that the spring can move with the suspension travel.

Stock suspension the perch is on a rubber isolator that does not move much.

what happens is as you steer left and right and also as the suspension moves up and down the spring bows in and out to compensate, at low speeds this effects the load on the power steering pump making the tires harder to turn left or right.

so the roller perch allows the lower part of the spring more range of motion and keeps the spring straight in the mount.

the result is the suspension frees up allowing the shocks to do their job more efficiently it also frees up the upper suspension arm reduces friction.

this also reduces stress on the steering system and less load on the power steering pump.

there are a few different roller perch designs

design 1: just removes the rubber isolator and replaces it with bearings or bushings to float the perch, the perch is a one piece and it floats both the lower shock mount and the lower spring holder.

the perch looks similar to stock and it is one piece.

design 2: this is a double rocker perch, the spring and shock mounts are separated and float independent of each other on bearings or bushings.

so the spring is free to move and the shock is free to move independent of the spring, these are more for racing and free up the suspension system as much as possible.

problem is the lower shock mounts on the shocks can snap off under heavy performance steering. some times this design is called a Track roller spring perch.

design 3: involves coilover shocks and major geometry changes to the upper and lower suspension, it usually involves massive redesign of the front end and usually you have to cut out the engine cradle and install a massive one piece suspension support.

design 4: involves a bushing or bearing with a heavy poly rubber isolator this allows a 360 degree range of motion these are not popular and can cause massive problems.

basically the roller perch is a performance upgrade and solves issues with the rubber isolators ripping or self destructing from restricting suspension travel and flex.

usually it helps low speed handling more in a manual steering system then a power steering setup but you can feel it a little bit.

some people report massive handling improvement, i think you feel a big improvement only if the suspension is very worn out, if you have a fresh rebuilt suspension the effect is minimal for a standard roller perch. a double perch or a track perch is another story, the problem with those designs on a street car is the constant cost of replacing broken shocks.

average cost of a standard roller perch is 150-199$

cost of a replacement stock perch is about 20$

cost of a replacement stock perch with a poly bushing is 120-160$(squeak like crazy)

cost of a track perch 200-400$

if you are sick of constantly having to buy new stock perches because the rubber falls apart then a roller perch is the way to go.

I went with the open tracker racing products because the ball bearings are replaceable. Everyone I know who has done these has done them as part of a comprehensive suspension rebuild or performance upgrade. All have said the same thing that they were a damn good upgrade to the suspension.

I haven't installed mine yet. Working to get the cash together to get the global west control arms and strut rod so I can do complete front suspension upgrade. Also plan to lower the front an inch or two.

As I understand it, the roller perch design eliminates a great deal of friction and allows the front suspension to respond quicker. When a spring is overcoming friction, the parts react slower. This can be overcome by using heavier springs to some degree, but that creates more friction as well and a harsh ride.

I am told that the improvement in steering and ride is quite noticeable.

basically every few years the rubber bushings blow out on the spring perches, with rollers it eliminates the maintenance issue, the bearings can get damaged as well.

everyone hears they are awesome from somebody else.

here is what i noticed.

1) suspension feels softer now on the front end. makes sense since the roller perch freed up the suspension.

2) low speed steering became slightly more responsive. (might be a good or bad thing i felt it made the car feel a little looser)

3) front end noise, the noise level went up a little when the suspension moves around

4) power steering strain when standing still and turning is much less.

5) no more rubber bushing blow outs.

6) nothing major as far as improvements being night and day, adding my rear sway bar did way more in effecting the handling then the roller perch replacing a standard perch.

this is why i say if your suspension is worn out and 20+ years old you would feel a big change, however my suspension was 5 years old and less then 10,000 miles on it with routine maintenance and greasing the Zerk fittings every few 1000s miles

main reason i did the swap was because the quality of the replacement spring perches for 20$ a pop is really bad now , i had 4 of them break in the last 2 years, so i spent the extra money for bearing supported perches.

the suspension needs all the help it can get so roller perches are a good idea if you can afford them. i researched the Track rollers when i did the swap and spoke to some club members that bought them, they all had broken lower shock mounts within 6 months.

I bought the D.I.Y. kit and they weren't bad to assemble. Powder coated them and they look and work great.
True Curtis, building these is not a bad job. I put this out there since I have the tools and can do these pretty easily. The ones I have seen commercially were in the $300.00 range. I do see on further research there are options out there for less and my 199 price is average. I would like to do these for those who would like them. What do you all think is fair?

I have a couple of other projects I am looking to put together and offer for sale. I'm not trying to build a business as I have a great job already. :D

I installed the Opentracker street model when my oem squeeked so much i could hear it inside the car. Was $200 bucks and a real improvement over the factory parts. I agree on the steering being lightet as well.

Ever try to move your stock spring perch? If you can get about a 1/4 of motion one way out of it you are lucky. This along with the strut rod upgrade makes a world of difference in your front end.

Back