Front disk brake caliper and rotor replacement search

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantOv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
I've removed my original calipers and down to the spindle now. The rotor don't look bad and they are flat and don't seem to show a lot of wear. I was looking at replacing the the rotor and calipers. (along with the bearings, shield etc)

Here is a reasonable set of rotors I think may be a direct replacement. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-brc-61002pr/make/ford/model/mustang/year/1972

I did see this decent Wilwood combination https://www.cjponyparts.com/wilwood...iston-hard-anodized-11-3-1970-1973/p/DBF202B/
I guess the downside of this route would be that I would need to remove and have a machinist modify the spindles. Not sure who I would get to do that.

In searching for the caliper and bracket that would work with either my original rotors or the first set (weblink above) through Summit it seems I am not searching correctly because I don't seem to find many combination calipers and brackets that actually just bolts on to my spindles as is. Lots of searches ust show a single actuator caliper which to my knowledge is 1/2 of what I need to replace since this doesn't include the caliper bracket.

Ideally I could find a dual actuator caliper set that I could put on a reasonable new set of rotors. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG20240323124640.jpg
    IMG20240323124640.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240323141206.jpg
    IMG20240323141206.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240323141425.jpg
    IMG20240323141425.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you don’t have a caliper, take the rotors to a local auto parts store that turns rotors and have them check them for wear. A feel test is ok, but the measurements are best. If you can save the stick(?) rotors, that would be best.

Unless you have a need for better braking than stock. If you do, tell us how you intend to use your car. That will help the experts, not me, help you figure out the upgrade.

I’m a believer in the stock brakes cause I’m just a cruiser.

Thanks Steve - I guess you could say I plan to be a cruiser also :) Good point at getting them turned - as they seem to have a lot of meat on them yet. I didn't have any particular issue with the brakes except there was a bit of clunking and I also thought it would be good to replace the pads. I'm leaning toward turning the rotors and getting new stock caliper replacement, pads and hardware. I was looking to see if the brake caliper brackets needed to be replaced but it looks like they aren't readily available so I'll just clean up the ones I have if i go the stock route.

The caliper bracket does not get replaced like on some modern cars. The slider pins and rubber bushings are part of the caliper hardware kit. Yes, those sheetmetal brackets are important.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...rake+&+wheel+hub,disc+brake+hardware+kit,1736

Never bothered with drilled or slotted rotors, just not something I felt was needed. I do have upgraded pads on the front discs of my 71. I'm using Hawk HPS frictions and they work very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MW5WC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Turn the rotors.

I got rebuilt calipers from orielly.

Get new pads.

Most aftermarket brake conversions are based on drum spindles. So if you look at fitment on summit make sure they fit disc spindles.

I have the same pads as Hemikiller, they work great. Be careful of who you get pads from. You’ll see some that say they fit, but I’ve heard from folks here there are issues.

Total agreement on using Hawk pads. I have a 2010 Fusion Sport as my daily driver. The Hawk pads made an incredible difference over the factory pads. Very fade resistant and practically no dust on the wheels. I highly recommend them.

Thanks - I ended up getting a pair from NAPA and saved on the shipping. They look great. I also went with recommendation on the Hawk pads. Hope to get my spindles cleaned up and rotors turned this weekend so I can get things all together.

Back