Roof rail seals question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
The PO evidentially installed a foam rubber type strip in the channel for the roof rail seals and neatly cut it off at each quarter window. The seal at the quarter windows is more of a "U" shaped seal. I want to replace the seals with the type at the quarter windows. Is there a special seal I should look for? The seals I see online look like the foam rubber I have in there now, but I want better sealing for my door windows, and maybe even a little tweaking adjustment.

The roofrail seal runs up the door jamb, under the roof and all the way to the back of the quarter windows. Sounds like the PO did not want to remove the quarter windows to do the job right

I have the seals by Daniel Carpenter D1ZZ-6551222/3

Also the foam tape was notorious for leaks. Mine leaked brand new and took them months to find. Would get inches of water in the car.

I do not use the foam tape. I use the non hardening strip caulk. You can get at automotive supply or even your home supply. It does a much better job of sealing. I put on my short rails on the vert last time also. If you want to spend the extra money the 3-M windshield sealer is the best.

The roofrail seal runs up the door jamb, under the roof and all the way to the back of the quarter windows. Sounds like the PO did not want to remove the quarter windows to do the job right

I have the seals by Daniel Carpenter D1ZZ-6551222/3
I went to the OHIO MUSTANG web site at the bottom of this forum and ran the part number and also searched for "roof rail seals" and it more or less said I wasn't correct. I "GOOGLED" the part# and it came right up on "GOOGLE".

My question is: is the correct roof rail seal a channel seal that the windows fit into, or just that foam strip?  My "fixed" quarter windows appear to have the channel type then mating up to the foam strip forward. I have no problem removing the quarter windows. I had to replace the psgr side window because the PO had cut a piece of plexiglass, (with dull scissors, LOL), fitted on that side. Also noticed that part of the lower channel on the psgr side on the door jamb is missing..

It is a seal specifically made for 71-3 roofrail channels

The one end has the molded metal ends that get screwed to the body

The original factory one did have more of a lip / groove in it, but this is NOT generic piece of foam

D1ZZ-6551222

XDC3rfZIi8aW.JPG

If you are going to put new rubber in you need to pull the drip rail and make sure it is sealed also. 90% of the time if you have rust in rear floors or under the rear seat of a fastback or Mach 1 the roof rail is leaking. I understand if the gasket is gone to replace but what is under the drip rail is probably worse. They rust bad under there also. If you take it apart take an old phillips screw driver put the bit in the screw and hit with a hammer to crack the rust seal. Get new screws going back and do something with the rust if just wire brush and POR with some new sealer. The foam take sucks was a benefit to assembly line so they used it. It is not a good seal solution.

If you are going to put new rubber in you need to pull the drip rail and make sure it is sealed also. 90% of the time if you have rust in rear floors or under the rear seat of a fastback or Mach 1 the roof rail is leaking. I understand if the gasket is gone to replace but what is under the drip rail is probably worse. They rust bad under there also. If you take it apart take an old phillips screw driver put the bit in the screw and hit with a hammer to crack the rust seal. Get new screws going back and do something with the rust if just wire brush and POR with some new sealer. The foam take sucks was a benefit to assembly line so they used it. It is not a good seal solution.
Thanks for that info, and I'll check that area when I do the seals. This is a west coast car and I pretty much gutted it when I bought it. The only rust I found was a few small spots on the psgr side floors and I patched and sealed them. The back end of the car had little to no rust, just a little surface rust on the trunk floor that I cleaned up and repainted. I keep it in a garage, and like most of us, never drive it when the weather is bad. Any rust I had was minimal...….

Back