Routing the alt. wiring harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrousVa

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hey Guys, I’m looking for some detailed pictures of the voltage regulator and starter relay area. When I removed the wiring harness to detail the engine compartment, I didn’t that any pix of where the wiring harness goes, so I’m kinda stuck figuring out where the wires go and connect.

Thanks

Robert

CIMG2158.JPG

I am going to be snapping a pic under the hood in the morning anyway, so I will grab one from that area fro you as well.

BTW: both those pics show wiring for vehicle with the gauges. Giveaway is the junction block adjacent to the voltage regulator. Otherwise the plug into the VR and the connections at the solenoid are the same for all models.

Also - blue car - intermediate ground on battery cable traditionally is fastened to apron sheet metal shared with lower VR mounting bolt.

Great pix! Thanks they'll help. Anyone know where the black wire from the Alt. harness gets attached? Also where does the battery ground attach, I see in the blue car it attachs to the fender, where should it go from there?

TIA

DSC00025-red.JPG

The black from the alt. harness attaches to one of the VR mounting screws to ground it.

The battery ground also attaches in the same vicinity. I'll have to look at pics of my '73 (it's apart now) to verify exactly where it attaches. As long as they both are grounded to the battery apron well they'll be fine.

Back