Running lights/ dash lights not working

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadRacer203

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible with a 302 and AOD
I've been having this problem for a little while now. Everything was working fine when I bought the car, then at night the running/dash lights were flickering for a while, and now they're dead altogether. Any ideas? I already checked and double checked fuses, bulbs, and if there were any loose or broken connections anywhere. I suspect it may be the switch itself but I'd like some other opinions before I start ordering stuff I don't need.

Check your grounds for running lights. Check the dash cluster connector to circuit card traces for good continuity, as well as the smallest fuse in the fuse box for the dash lamps. Both signals originate in the headlight switch, so that's another possibility. The final possibility is that there is a black helicopter following you around at night; I recommend a metallic helmet to be worn at all times.

That third possibility sounds pretty reasonable. I'll be sure to look out for helicopters lol! I'll check both those other things too.

Try turning the headlight knob back and forth a bunch of times. The contacts tend to get dirty. If you get your lights back, you can either pull the switch and clean the contacts, or replace it.

I tried that before, and it seemed to help a little when it was just flickering, but now that it's completely dead it doesn't seem to do anything. I'll add that to my list of things to check though. I'm sure it hasn't been cleaned ever

i had that problem so replaced the headlight switch with a cheap one it worked but for a short time  then i i got a high end switch and all is well
Agree here, make sure to buy a Motorcraft or Standard replacement, not a cheapie from Advance, Auto Zone etc. 

Rock Auto has the Motorcraft unit for aobut $30, the good Standard for $16

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1971,mustang,5.8l+351cid+v8,1132692,electrical-switch+&+relay,headlamp+switch,4472

You can find them on Amazon as well if you prefer shopping there.

Got it fixed! Looks like the only problem was the headlight switch. I got one free from my friend who happened to have one sitting around. If it breaks, I'll go with the motorcraft switch.

Latest posts

Back