Runs Like Crap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like mentioned before, the Edelbrock and Carter carbs are susceptible to dirt because the jets sit on the very bottom of the bowl. I've had several that after sitting wouldn't idle for $hit. Pulling the top plate and blasting out the passages with compressed air and carb cleaner makes a world of difference. Run a good filter and good gas, or you'll regret it.

Will e - yup; sometimes when it hasn't warmed up it wants to backfire up through the carb. Usually only does it once.

Mike - but my heads, manifold, and cam are all Edelbrock too. I figure in a year or so I'm going to switch to fuel injection, and then I'll have a computer feeding it the perfect fuel/air mix . . . unless I have a vacuum leak.

I might unscrew that vacuum port from my manifold and put bolt in it. I don't have anything hooked up the uses vacuum other than the distributor, and that's pulling from the carb. My brakes are hydratech, so I'm not using engine vacuum for that. One of these days I want to really clean up my engine compartment and make it look cool in there, and having an unused vacuum connector with a piece of capped hose and two rubber caps just doesn't look like I wanted a nice clean engine compartment.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

is another good site.

if your having vacuum sweeps erratically between 5-15 at idle that is not good and you may be looking at a head rebuild soon.

you can try to richen up the idle mix, sometimes if its 2 lean you will get a surging effect of the vacuum sweeping up and down, but not 10" of vacuum, that is pointing more towards worn Valve seats or maybe new valve stem seals.

When we rebuilt the engine, I put brand new Edelbrock heads on it and it has only about 600 miles on them. It has a performer Plus cam. When I was tuning the carb with the vacuum gauge hooked up, I was able to raise the vacuum at idle and steady it a bit at idle when adjusting the idle screws. Not perfectly steady, but a definite improvement. I want to play with it some more and look at the timing when I have time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after reading these posts and recalling how a friend used to set timing and curb idle mixture with a vacuum gage I decided to pull out mu old gage and give it a whirl. First I set timing without the vacuum to the distributor it ran great until plugging the vacuum back in. So the timing was adjusted again with the vacuum attached. After that was set to max vacuum I adjusted the idle screws. Idling vacuum went from roughly 16" to a little over 20". The drivability and throttle response is much better.

Try it guys it does work!

Odds are if you have backfired through the carburator you have damaged the accelerator pump diaphram. Rebuild it and see if that problem doesn't go away.

Odds are if you have backfired through the carburator you have damaged the accelerator pump diaphram. Rebuild it and see if that problem doesn't go away.

He has an edelbrock. Not sure if they have the same problem as Holleys (that don't have the fix) that affects the power valve (not the accelerator pump)

Well after reading these posts and recalling how a friend used to set timing and curb idle mixture with a vacuum gage I decided to pull out mu old gage and give it a whirl. First I set timing without the vacuum to the distributor it ran great until plugging the vacuum back in. So the timing was adjusted again with the vacuum attached. After that was set to max vacuum I adjusted the idle screws. Idling vacuum went from roughly 16" to a little over 20". The drivability and throttle response is much better.

Try it guys it does work!

the correct method for setting the timing via a vacuum gauge. the curb idle mixture screws should be reset to 1.5 turns from bottom.

you need to make sure the idle is set as low as possible. the engine should almost stall out. this makes 100% sure the mechanical advance will not engage. vacuum canister should be unplugged, now if your running on ported vaccum the advance will not come on at idle but its a good way to make sure no vaccum advance is biased into the tune.

with the engine just running you take your vaccum readings, as you advance timing make sure the idle rpms are just above stall you will need to keep adjusting it, and playing with the distributor until you get the highest vacuum reading. now back off timing till the gauge falls about 1-2HG" this will give you leeway in the event of detonation because of too much timing.

next you need a helper.

Reset Idle Rpms to factory spec between 625-675 with the car in Gear and the headlights on. (if you have A/C you add like 50 -75 rpms)

with the car in gear, engine warmed up, idle speed in range, and buddy standing on the brakes, you now adjust the air idle mixture screws, your looking for MAX vacuum, without raising Idle RPMS. and without stalling the engine. it takes forever since you have to work back and forth between 2 or 4 idle mixture screws and the idle speed screw on the carb.

once you have the best HG reading and the idle is in spec, with the vacuum advance caped go for a ride, good chance you will need to richen up the idle air mixture screws about 1/8 of a turn. watch the tach if you have one, if it starts bouncing at idle with the engine warmed up you know the mixture screws will need to open a little until the idle rpms are steady.

all this gets you in the ballpark of a good tune, it will change with weather, moisture in the air,temp etc.

next you go back home and complete any base line adjustments you didn't like on a test drive.

now you plug in the vacuum advance (hopefully its adjustable)

so you go for a drive and try to find a very long straight steep hill, you keep adjusting more advance in until at a steady speed going up the hill you start hearing marbles dancing around the mufflers.(the engine is pinging) now you back off until the sound goes away(this may need to back off 1-4 turns depending on the Quality of fuel on each fill up.

now you will have a car setup with a good tune, but not by the book perfect, every car will need a tweak coming off optimal numbers to fix drivablility issues.

now getting back to what you most likely did. you just advanced the timing a bit, advanced timing will make the throttle more responsive on its own, it will increase idle rpms which will increase vacuum. it may even be closer to an optimal tune then you were before but the method of arriving at that tune i not the right way.

the biggest mistake people make on a vacuum tune is not adjusting the vaccum advance canister, and not readjusting the idle rpms everytime you make a change to timing or the air mixtures.

on my car 'going by the book' on a vacuum tune, i gained about 7HG"

after driving the car for a while i had to richen the tune to get the engine to run better, so i gained about 5HG" Its not max vacuum but its where the car is happiest. Its a very hard thing tuning an engine for max performance when cold and when hot, you will find the perfect tune when the engine is hot will not work when the engine is cold, so you have to come off perfect to make things work right.

there is other issues with advancing the timing to get a good idle vacuum, you need to adjust the total timing to make sure its not too much.

as 71, 72 , 73 passed on ford reduced the initial timing to pass idle emissions standards and increased total timing to gain performance back. Say in 71 Ford used a L13 setting on the mechanical and ran 10 degrees initial by 73 this was a L16 and 4-6 degrees initial timing. so the 71 had less total advance then a 73 because it ran more initial timing.

71: 10+ 26 = 36 total mechanical.

by

73: 4 + 32 = 36 total mechanical.

this can be a problem if you take a later car and vacuum tune it to 12 degrees initial without limiting total or changing the distributor plate. you have to be careful. too much mechanical timing can kaboom the engine.

in my car i went out of my way to find a L13 plate for the distributor because i'm running 10 degrees initial. to get to the sweet spot total timing 32-38. i found i still needed to adjust the plate with a stopper since the tolerance was bad.

if you want to be sure of really what the car should tolerance you pull the distributor cap and the vacuum advance plate and look at the mechanical advance plate there will be 2 L numbers on the plates read off the one from the side that has the stopper under it. take that number and double it, then add in your initial timing to get total mechanical. it should be less then 38, depending on your engine build this might be less, Hypereutectic pistons Scream at you with the specs sheet not to exceed 34 degrees of total mechanical advance.

you can see things can get dicey and every motor is different.

When we rebuilt the engine, I put brand new Edelbrock heads on it and it has only about 600 miles on them. It has a performer Plus cam. When I was tuning the carb with the vacuum gauge hooked up, I was able to raise the vacuum at idle and steady it a bit at idle when adjusting the idle screws. Not perfectly steady, but a definite improvement. I want to play with it some more and look at the timing when I have time.

did you check the rods to make sure they are the correct length, its possible the valves are slightly hanging open

did you check the rods to make sure they are the correct length, its possible the valves are slightly hanging open
That is a good suggestion. Sounds like I ought to do a leakdown test to be sure.
With gauges and wires and hoses running everywhere to put that fine tune on an engine ahh we truley are Doctor Frankensteins bringing life to the creatures we've created. However, "We don't need no stinkink computers" :p and can hang with the best of em.

Get a Holley. Your car likely came with a Holley or Carter, Rochester or Autolite. Not Edelbrock.

mike
the edelbrock preformer is the carter AFB..same carb...cant hardly tell them apart besides name on them pretty much..elderbrock carbs are made by webber...even the metering rods are interchangable i guess between the old carters and elds....there not a bad carb...and best for just bolt on and go...i like holleys...but the old afb style carb is hard to beat for bolt on reliability....never had a issue with them..and only reason i got a holley..is for pure preformance...i allmost got the 750 elder instead of a holley..but the new one i got..has anti powervalve backfire blow out protection..lol..i allways hated that about a holley..a backfire..and poof..there goes your powervalve..lol

After reading this thread I went out and bought a vacuum gauge to tune my car in too, I have never done it with a gauge (I've always known this to be the correct way) and I figure a properly tuned carb would help my car a lot. It was surging slightly between 10-12. After tuning the carb a little bit (the dizzy is stuck at the moment, wont budge, it was set at around 12* BTC when it was set a few years ago) I got it up to a little above 14, let me tell you, it makes a big difference with just a little bit more vacuum. The car idles better, and way better throttle response. I'm going to install a new carb gasket in a while, because I know that is leaking and more than likely causing it to surge.

Anyways, just saying, the vacuum gauge makes a big difference.

Take the advice of 72 HCODE. Adjusting 1 element affects another. That is why a good tune man is worth his weight in gold. His recommendations are spot on the money and nothing gives a man more pride than doing his own tune and winning. Granted it takes some time but the performance gain is well worth it.

Another thing I wanted to mention was finding the source of vacuum leaks.I've read all the "properly safe" methods to look for a leak. However nothing has nailed it down as quickly and reliably as a short shot of starting fluid (and I do mean a short shot) avoid doing it near ignition sources obviously but for intake manifolds especially at the back and base of carbs it works quite well. A short shot near the mating surfaces and if the rpms go up. There's your leak. I'm sure to catch some flack for this one so if you don't know what your doing. Please don't try this at home.

After reading this thread I went out and bought a vacuum gauge to tune my car in too, I have never done it with a gauge (I've always known this to be the correct way) and I figure a properly tuned carb would help my car a lot. It was surging slightly between 10-12. After tuning the carb a little bit (the dizzy is stuck at the moment, wont budge, it was set at around 12* BTC when it was set a few years ago) I got it up to a little above 14, let me tell you, it makes a big difference with just a little bit more vacuum. The car idles better, and way better throttle response. I'm going to install a new carb gasket in a while, because I know that is leaking and more than likely causing it to surge.

Anyways, just saying, the vacuum gauge makes a big difference.
Glad you are making progress. The best penetrating fluid I've found has a silly name but works very well. It is called "PB Blaster". you might spray some on the distributor and let it set a while. Good Luck, Chuck

PB is good stuff there is also a home made blend of 50% acetone and 50% ATF that works really well for unsticking rusted bolts.

----

I found 'tuning' a engine is more magic then science. i spent years trying different tunes on my motor the slightest change can make a huge difference.

the problem is when you read a book on tuning they tell you to tune the engine to the numbers, if you do X+Y then Z should occur. The truth is tuning a engine is more feeling and sounds then scientific measures.

by the book my engine should run awesome with a 750DP, fresh rebuild, electronic ignition, mild cam etc edelbrock intake.

yet i had a MONSTER miss off the line miss/lean condition with Super back fire through the carb and i tried everything by the book, timing, adjustments playing with shooter size, advance the timing, retarding the timing, bigger and bigger carb then smaller and smaller carb, nothing worked by the book. i sought advice from experts about the distributor curves they would tell me by the book what to do, "do not install heavy springs, you want all the timing in before 3000" etc.

after 2 years nothing worked, and i started to listen to the motor. she kept going lean i kept adding fuel.

then i was able to figure out where it was going lean. but no matter how much fuel i could add she would keep going lean during a passing situation. Finally i took all the advice i was given and threw it to the wind.

i went back to heavy spring on the distributor curve, So what if I'm not getting all my timing in right away. by holding back total timing i was able to reduce the amount of fuel i needed to get the engine in a good range. tune after tune weekend after weekend i finally got it.

it was only after i threw the book away with some knowledge i was able to create magic.

so what you have to be careful most about is Tuning for a small range. If you tune just for idle quality the motor will run poorly, if you tune for performance the drivability will suffer. Finding that happy balance that your engine and your butt will tolerate always ends up in an off peak tune.

advancing timing will always make the engine run "better" as far as performance, it will run cooler, it will have higher vacuum, it will use less gas, because of the advanced timing at Idle.

the problem is it will run BAD when its cold, or the weather is cold. if its VERY hot out the advanced timing may cause dieseling or very hard starts, you may burn out your starter prematurely.

you have to make sure you compensate for advanced timing throughout the rpm range you don't want to go lean at WOT.

basically higher performance brings you closer to the ragged edge of something bad happening. that is the disadvantage.

say your driving a manual right on the ragged edge, lots of timing, great performance, and one day you miss a high rpm shift, Kaboom.

lower timing reduces performance but gives you more tolerance when something goes bad, or when the weather goes to extremes.

every engine is different what works on one will not work on another.

this is why i say its magic and butt'ometrics when you tune.

Very good post! There are too many variables from car to car to have a single solution for a given problem. Chuck

FastE, If I remember your set up it is a factory dual diaphragm distributor with pertronix. Set both initial and total mechanical with vacuum line disconnected and plugged. With your gear I'd have it all in by 2600-2800 RPM. Chuck

Back