Seat Belt

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
The shoulder harness fits into a hole on the seat belt of my '71 Grande. This is probably the same for all Mustangs of that year. The problem being it keeps popping out and I have to reattach the harness. Bought a set of OEM belts on eBay to use while my originals are being restored. I noticed on the passenger harness there is a piece of plastic as seen in the pictures but none on the driver's side. Anyone ever heard of a fix for this piece of plastic. I know I could swap belts but would prefer to deal with a "malfunctioning" harness rather than a passenger having to. Unless I pull the harness tight it will occasionally come loose. Thought about using some electrical shrink wrap tape, any other ideas?

mike

HPIM2896.JPG

HPIM2900.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try multiple layers of electrical shrink tubing or maybe a rubber o ring as a temporary fix. Does CA require the use of the shoulder belt or can you get by using only the lap belt? Chuck

You could try multiple layers of electrical shrink tubing or maybe a rubber o ring as a temporary fix. Does CA require the use of the shoulder belt or can you get by using only the lap belt? Chuck
I think federal law mandated shoulder belts in 1968.

In California you are required to use whatever the car came equipped with from the manufacturer.

The shrink tape sounds like a good start.

mike

I would just wrap it several times with flolded over electrical tape for an easy quick fix. The shrink wrap would work too...just more of an effort IMHO.

That's interesting, 'cause my 1972 only has lap belts all the way around. I can't even find any provisions for shoulder belts, so it looks like it came from the factory like that. Unless someone did a really good mod job.
The screw holes are there under the head liner, just above the window. Chuck

Ah, now I know what you're talking about. Those funny looking star-headed studs (next to the hanger hook) must be for the shoulder belt then?
Yes. That is for the shoulder belt. Chuck

That's interesting, 'cause my 1972 only has lap belts all the way around. I can't even find any provisions for shoulder belts, so it looks like it came from the factory like that. Unless someone did a really good mod job.
My '72 had a factory drivers side shoulder belt, but only a lap belt for the passenger as evidenced by no hole in the headliner on the passenger side. There are threaded bosses built into the roof of the car behind the headliner on cars that didn't come out with the shoulder belt option and you can find them by running a finger along where the belt should be until you find a 3/8" hole depression behind the liner.

I had to install Australian Standards lap/sash belts in both front and read in order to get the car roadworthy for Australian registration (had to drill mounting holes in the parcel shelf for the rears), and I'm pretty glad they made me do it because I'm glad my front and rear passengers have got that extra protection.

seatbelt7.jpg

seatbelt11.jpg

seatbelt9.jpg

seatbelt13.jpg

That's cool Flatback, I'm going to look into doing that too. My family's too important to not have better protection.
My new front lap/sash seat belts are retractable like modern cars have; better by far IMO than the factory clip in shoulder harness that doesn't let you move forward without removing or adjusting it. Had to get front belt mechanisms that contain a 9° tilt bias in them because standard vertical belts will lock up when the mechanism is tilted to the floor/roof mounting points angle, and if the mechanisms are set up vertically to get the locking mechanism to work properly then the belt frays as it slides out on the angle.

The rears are retractable too with the retractor mechanism located on the parcel shelf - not as neat as the factory lap set up but I think they don't look too much out of place. I had a local seat belt guru work out the position to drill the hole in the shelf and I documented the mounting position and set up on the Aussie Mustang forum at the following link:

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13485#pid139298

Back