SEEKING HELP/ADVICE ON IDLER ARM

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

As far as i know or remember, i have not upgraded or replaced my idler arm since 2011 when i bought my '73 Vert. My mechanic tells me the arm has slight play in it, so i thought it was time to replace it.

My first choice was to buy the Scott Drake idler arm product, which turned out not to fit my current steering setup (SHOULD HAVE READ THE FORUM WRITE UPS BEFORE I BOUGHT ANYTHING). That part was returned back to my supplier. Having read some Forum write ups on this idler arm replacement topic, it appears to me that trying to get a decent product that will fit up properly is sadly somewhat of a challenge. I seem to be getting good a not so good feedback on the same brands of products being talked about. Contradictions if you like.

In any case, i have decided my best approach at this stage, is to keep my existing idler arm, and buy new bushings for it, as what i have now has good front end geometry and alignment. It all works well. So that being the case, my questions are what are the best quality brand bushings out there, and is it better to go poly bushings then rubber, and what parts do i need to buy to match my existing idler arm? I am aware that two different bushings are needed for the arm, such as drag link end bushing and chassis rail side bushing. To help out, i have included some pics below showing my existing idler arm, along with the Scott Drake arm i bought that didn't fit. Also, iv'e included pics for example, of what bush types and brands that might or should fit my existing idler arm for your consideration. (see my link below)

https://www.summitracing.com/search...hings&ar=1&kr=1973 mustang idler arm bushings
Any help or good feedback would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Greg.:confused:

Attachments

• 20230323_100649.jpg
    20230323_100649.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_100703.jpg
    20230323_100703.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_100720.jpg
    20230323_100720.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_100730.jpg
    20230323_100730.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_100744.jpg
    20230323_100744.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_100757.jpg
    20230323_100757.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_100841.jpg
    20230323_100841.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Greg,
The PST (Performance Suspension Technologies) their item #121727164888 is a 100% bolt-in perfect fit and in stock. Been running this part for years on my 1972 w/power steering.
Thanks CC for the positive recommendation of this part. From what you say, it's the real deal for a trouble free fit up, and i will give it proper consideration. However, as i mentioned in my post, i plan to go down that path of first trying to buy quality bushes for my existing idler arm, as i know that it is correctly aligned and set up perfectly to suit my current steering geometry. If i find that the new bushes idea doesn't play out for me, i will have a serious look into the PST part you have recommended for me. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Finally, and so far, a quiet response to my call for help. Interesting - i was expecting some members to jump in with their advice or recommendations. We shall see what eventuates i guess.

Cheers, Greg.

Rock auto lists a MOOG 8103 for the center link end. They also list a MevoTech MS40490 for the bracket end. MOOG parts are my go-to; I can't speak to the MevoTech brand since I'm not familiar with it. Both brands list a "limited lifetime" warranty.

Rock auto lists a MOOG 8103 for the center link end. They also list a MevoTech MS40490 for the bracket end. MOOG parts are my go-to; I can't speak to the MevoTech brand since I'm not familiar with it. Both brands list a "limited lifetime" warranty.
Hi Sheriff, Thanks for your feedback. I have had my eye on Moog and Mevo Tech bushes as a go to for quality bushes. Moog's got a strong reputation in the market place for producing quality products. It's interesting to note that past Forum feedback on the Moog idler arms themselves is for a poor fit up with some of the parts model changes over the years. Summit Racing are selling these bushing brands for my '73 also. My game plan is to first up, see what i can buy here in Australia regards new bushes. If in that regard i run into supply problems, then importing those brands in from the States will be my next port of call.

Whatever you pay for these products in America, you can at least double that price and more by the time i import any product into Australia. No fun, as the hip pocket takes a serious flogging!:(

Cheers, Greg.

Last edited:
I was going to rebuild my idler arm but it turned out it wasn’t oem and the bushing was captured and I couldn’t press it out. I ended buying a rare parts one off of eBay and it worked perfectly fine.

I was going to rebuild my idler arm but it turned out it wasn’t oem and the bushing was captured and I couldn’t press it out. I ended buying a rare parts one off of eBay and it worked perfectly fine.
Hi there, and thanks for your reply.

You have recommended the Rare Parts idler arm to me. Past Forum feedback gives the Rare Parts product a good rap for quality and fit up without issues.
Sadly though, it is high priced, and so would cost me $391.00 Australian to land it at my door step.

The Forum also likes the PST brand idler arm for quality and no fit up issues. It is cheaper at $280.00 Au landed at my door step.

Also, the Forum likes the West Coast Classic Cougar idler arm (unknown brand)for again, quality and trouble free fit up.So far, it's the cheapest buy at $166.00Au landed at my door.

As i said before, buying a complete ready to bolt on idler arm assembly, will end up being a reality decision, if i can't get a win with trying to buy and install quality bushes for my existing idler arm. A new quality imported set would cost me $90.00 Au landed at my door. Here's how i look at it so far.

I first bought the Scott Drake product here in Australia for $178.00 Au, in good faith, and that it would not present any fit up problems.That turned out to be a joke (thanks Holley!), and now, i have to return the item and try to get a refund on the purchase. Now with all proper and due respect to our Forum members who have now and in the past, recommended idler arm assemblies as being quality and fit up issue free, it still leaves a question as to if i decide to buy one of these products and import it into Australia, will i still be presented with fit up issues? I say that mainly on the basis that i don't really know what steering components are currently installed in my car.(drag links , pitman arms etc) So i could end up with a possible situation, where the new idler arm i buy IS the correct one, but does not match what steering parts i have in my car now. Returning items purchased from overseas for exchange or refund can end up being an expensive hassle.

So to play safe, replacing the bushes only at this stage is the cheapest, sensible, safer approach for me to take, as i know my currently installed idler arm works in all departments (except of course for the worn out bushes)

Thanks again,

Greg.

Last edited:
I had to replace my idler arm like you about a year ago. I used this forum and purchased one from WCCC. It fit perfectly and really improved my steering. I too have a 73 vert with PS. I also replaced the frame fasteners with a set from NPD. Here’s a couple pictures of the WCCC part next to what I took off. Not sure if the old one is an original oem or not, but it was definitely shot.

Attachments

• IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4595.jpeg
    IMG_4595.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I had to replace my idler arm like you about a year ago. I used this forum and purchased one from WCCC. It fit perfectly and really improved my steering. I too have a 73 vert with PS. I also replaced the frame fasteners with a set from NPD. Here’s a couple pictures of the WCCC part next to what I took off. Not sure if the old one is an original oem or not, but it was definitely shot.
Hi Mod73,
Thanks for your reply too.
Good to get your positive feedback on the WCC Cougar product as well as other members. I'm thinking that product would be the go to at this stage if the bushing replacement plan falls through. Quick note. Is it my imagination, but does the length of the WCCCC bush on the drag link end appear to be longer than your original bush? Just asking.

Greg.

Last edited:
Greg, I wasn't going to chime in on this because it's pretty much all been covered by others.
Even for me in SW Ontario Canada, it's a PITA buying stuff and returning if it doesn't fit, which seems to be all too common these days. I do have the luxury of being able to drive over to NPD in Canton Mi., but even then returning stuff means another trip over and explaining to customs why I'm returning said items.
As I know you've gone through most if not all posts on idler arms, you probably have seen the sketch I posted on the geometry of idler arms. If you do need to replace yours which works fine other than pooched bushings, if you compare the X and Y dimensions to your part and match those to your new part and as long as they match, you'll be fine even if the shape appears different. Hope that makes sense.
The Idler arm I got from NPD was #3355-1A but they do not list manufacturer. This is a premium part at $187.00 US. However, I needed to alter the top hole by slotting upward. A bit of a pian, but was easily done. Other than that, the geometry was perfect.
Just for reference, here's the sketch again. It's a bit on the light side, but I think you can read it. I ought to re-do it.

Attachments

• Idler arm.pdf
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
Greg, I wasn't going to chime in on this because it's pretty much all been covered by others.
Even for me in SW Ontario Canada, it's a PITA buying stuff and returning if it doesn't fit, which seems to be all too common these days. I do have the luxury of being able to drive over to NPD in Canton Mi., but even then returning stuff means another trip over and explaining to customs why I'm returning said items.
As I know you've gone through most if not all posts on idler arms, you probably have seen the sketch I posted on the geometry of idler arms. If you do need to replace yours which works fine other than pooched bushings, if you compare the X and Y dimensions to your part and match those to your new part and as long as they match, you'll be fine even if the shape appears different. Hope that makes sense.
The Idler arm I got from NPD was #3355-1A but they do not list manufacturer. This is a premium part at $187.00 US. However, I needed to alter the top hole by slotting upward. A bit of a pian, but was easily done. Other than that, the geometry was perfect.
Just for reference, here's the sketch again. It's a bit on the light side, but I think you can read it. I ought to re-do it.
Hi Geoff,

and thanks also for your great reply.

Ok, based on what you say, you're happy to put your money on the NPD unknown part all day every day for quality and good fit up. That then makes four idler arm parts that Forum members have recommended. The missing slotted hole is a drawback but as you say, you can get around that. I did see your sketch, and thanks for re sending that on for reference. This product appears to be expensive as well as the Rare parts one, and comes in over $395.00Au delivered to my door step. Probably a touch to rich for my blood i would think at this stage, but many thanks for recommending it to me and the Forum.

Cheers,

Greg.

I bought a Moog K8165 that was NOS on eBay back in November for $42. $58 with shipping. Bolted on perfectly. Certainly would have been more to Austrailia, but the K8165 is a good part.
Hi Big Red,
Thanks for your reply and recommendation. OK. Forum feedback very much likes this Moog idler part, K8165 but alas it has stopped production some time ago. Based on recent research, i would be lucky to find one nowadays, and at a decent price. The Moog replacement does not fit up properly i'm told. Also, old rubber has a limited shelf life to consider if you could get your hands on one.

References .......................................................

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144809269880
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/tip-nos-idler-arms-for-our-mustangs-on-ebay-moog-k-8165.38184/
I wonder why Moog stopped making a good product that worked?

Thanks again,

Greg.

Hi Geoff,

and thanks also for your great reply.

Ok, based on what you say, you're happy to put your money on the NPD unknown part all day every day for quality and good fit up. That then makes four idler arm parts that Forum members have recommended. The missing slotted hole is a drawback but as you say, you can get around that. I did see your sketch, and thanks for re sending that on for reference. This product appears to be expensive as well as the Rare parts one, and comes in over $395.00Au delivered to my door step. Probably a touch to rich for my blood i would think at this stage, but many thanks for recommending it to me and the Forum.

Cheers,

Greg.
Actually Greg, I believe the NPD part might be the Rare parts one. I didn't take any pics of it, but I seem to remember it was with their logo. If it was, I hope they slotted the top hole correctly by now.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if these idler arms were not used on many other vehicles and not only Fords.
Good luck with your discission.

Actually Greg, I believe the NPD part might be the Rare parts one. I didn't take any pics of it, but I seem to remember it was with their logo. If it was, I hope they slotted the top hole correctly by now.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if these idler arms were not used on many other vehicles and not only Fords.
Good luck with your discission.
Thanks Geoff,

You might be right there.

Ok, that makes three brands the Forum guys recommend ...................................... PST/ Rare Parts/ WCCC.

Cheers,
Greg.
Greg, have you checked out bush dimensions from our XA XB Falcons.
Cheers
David

Greg, have you checked out bush dimensions from our XA XB Falcons.
Cheers
David

Hi David,

Yes, i have started to look into that very thing. I'm getting my mechanic to take measurements of my current bushes next week, and see how they stack up against the Falcon ones. Could get lucky there.
Thanks,
Greg.

Hi Mod73,
Thanks for your reply too.
Good to get your positive feedback on the WCC Cougar product as well as other members. I'm thinking that product would be the go to at this stage if the bushing replacement plan falls through. Quick note. Is it my imagination, but does the length of the WCCCC bush on the drag link end appear to be longer than your original bush? Just asking.

Greg.
No the bushings were the same length on the drag link end. I too saw that when installing. The new arm’s bushing could have been pressed in another 1/8 inch to where the bushing collar was closer to the idler arm. And I considered doing that but didn’t because I didn’t have a press and the metal bushing housing was fully through the arm. The other reason was because like your old idler arm, the chassis rail end bushing was much longer than the arms sleeve it’s pressed into. I liked the fact that the new WCCC part had the beefier housing on the chassis rail end and an included grease fitting. Good luck Greg with your project and don’t you love this forum! Great info from super knowledgeable folks like Slanglover. I used his drawing to measure & compare my old and new parts and it was a perfect fit.

Bob

Back