Shift rod to Cable conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afeng79

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Hardtop
Has anyone had to convert to a cable shifter instead of the old shift rod? I can find aftermarket stuff that will let me mount a bracket to hold the cable on the transmission side but not the floor shifter side. I'll need something similar up at the floor shifter...I've heard the cable goes up inside the floor shifter and mounts there? Any insight would be great.

What transmission? I did a 5-speed conversion on my '68 but the cable is for the clutch not the shifter. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post..

The trans is a C6. The cable would need to attach to the shift arm of the transmission and the shifter arm in the trans tunnel. I'm thinking of using a simple L bracket and mounting it to the trans tunnel with bolts and using that to hold the cable sheath.

Ah.. I get it. I'm thinking it would be similar to the cable that came with my ratchet shifter in my '73. I think I just attacked it to the existing bracket that was in my c6.

Back