Should I go with a crate motor?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the project is open to an LS swap you can go big there too. 454, 620 HP and a guarantee.
:udaman:
This is an example of why I love this forum. So many members are all around car lovers. We can talk about any make, model or theme here and not have the "hater ducks" start quacking. I only know of one other make specific forum as open this place.

True statement but if we start talking Hondas with fart can exhausts I might have to re-think my friendship with you guys.

The long block is around $9500. Still need oil pan, intake, carb (or fuel injection) and coils and controller box. Even the easy stuff adds up quick, water pump and front dress.

The good news, people have finished this engine like I'm doing (LS7 carb style intake) and made over 675 HP on an engine dyno. Thats not the impressive part. The intake duration is only 236 degrees@ .050". It makes this power with a cam that would be streetable in a 350.

Mine is headed to a FFR roadster. It should weigh less than 2400 pound. I hope i survive this thing.

The long block is around $9500. Still need oil pan, intake, carb (or fuel injection) and coils and controller box. Even the easy stuff adds up quick, water pump and front dress.

The good news, people have finished this engine like I'm doing (LS7 carb style intake) and made over 675 HP on an engine dyno. Thats not the impressive part. The intake duration is only 236 degrees@ .050". It makes this power with a cam that would be streetable in a 350.

Mine is headed to a FFR roadster. It should weigh less than 2400 pound. I hope i survive this thing.
That's impressive my 454 BBC has 248@50 makes maybe?? low/mid 500s and wouldn't be as easy to live with as the LS not to mention the weight saving

That's impressive my 454 BBC has 248@50 makes maybe?? low/mid 500s and wouldn't be as easy to live with as the LS not to mention the weight saving

As long as you're running oval ports (with pocket porting) or bigger and that's a hydraulic roller I'd bet you're north of 550 FWHP.

As long as you're running oval ports (with pocket porting) or bigger and that's a hydraulic roller I'd bet you're north of 550 FWHP.
Ported ovals 10.7 comp and its Solid flat tappet, old comp cams 294s. Sounds grumpy but the stick limits its potential.

I am with you for the crate sbc, vortecs will allow for some nice future gains without having to go crazy

These are the specs and dyno sheet #s on the 460 that CME built for me:

430 HP @ 4900 RPM

550 Lbs @ 3300 RPM

.480 lift, 274°/ 224° duration

9.5 compression

When the engine first installed in the body at the body shop and fired up, it ran and idled so smoothly that they mechanic there said he didn't believe the specs, that an engine with those specs could never idle as smooth ( it pulls 14 lbs vacuum at 800 tpm idle)

Later, once the rear end was installed he test drove it and specifically called me say he changed his opinion. Says it is every bit as awesome as the specs indicate.

That shop has purchased three motors from the same place ( CME).since and have loved them all.

Like I said earlier, I highly recommend 'em.

I even contemplated removing the 429 from my Mustang and installing this 460 in its place, but "Old Boots" would surely perish completely with that much motor in it.

Really nice engines, but... you guys are getting out of the $$$ range I really want to put into this car. Although it does seem fun, I have to be realistic about how much I want to have in a '72 Camaro. I definitely can see myself with that sweet 454 but the realist in my is going to settle for a 350 w/350 HP or thereabouts. Seems to be lots of "value" options to get there. You guys make me dream big and start fantasizing "what if". My wife says quit reading, and go shine up "her" car (the Mustang...now that it's "completed" it's her baby, lol).

With reality calling I'd say to try for a 383 and around 400 HP. Some bucks for sure but a nice amount of bang. Do you have a builder you'd trust locally? I did a 377 that wasn't too hard on the bank. It made 348 HP at the wheels and it was still very happy at low RPM when pulling overdrive.

+1 on building a 383. Also Dart do some good top end kits for SBCs like the SHP not a huge amount $ for what you get.
Wow...that is sweet! I do see the bang for the buck there. Homework time!

JHawk
SHP 400 short block with a matched top end kit should put you around 525hp for around 5-6 grand give or take some and it comes straight from dart as prove combos

Also have a look at dart iron eagles very good heads for what you are trying to do and exellent value and will get you an easy 400hp on a 383/400

Last edited by a moderator:
Back