Side Scoops

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The drivers side is stripped...I just need to sketch out some stuff on the car and decide whether I'm brave enough to cut???

87b5c1e0.jpg

The drivers side is stripped...I just need to sketch out some stuff on the car and decide whether I'm brave enough to cut???

87b5c1e0.jpg
Instead of just cutting..Why don't you make a full size "mock up" first. Easy to do. Saran wrap or plastic layed on that section of the quarter stretched tight. A few layers of glass cloth with resin over the plastic..Instant model. You could cut a few strips of 1/4" lauan to hold the shape of the model. Besides giving you a model to work with it will also give you a template to use when you finalize the design. Another good technique I have used is to use insulation foam (pink or blue) to "carve out" your design. Shapes real easy with a cheese grater. I've made quite a few fiberglass molds / parts this way. They make a front section repair panel (rock auto $62.79) ..You could also do your model that way. Good investment imho before you start cutting into a oem irreplaceable quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
THE CAR IS NICE AND THE SIDE SCOOPS IS IIGT IF THATS WHAT YOU LIKE BUT I THINK THE FACTORY BODY IS WHAT I LIKE IT JUST KEEPS ITS CLASS AND IF YOU TAKE THAT AWAY ITS JUST NOT A CLASSIC TO ME BUT THATS MY OPINION AND EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT

Instead of just cutting..Why don't you make a full size "mock up" first. Easy to do. Saran wrap or plastic layed on that section of the quarter stretched tight. A few layers of glass cloth with resin over the plastic..Instant model. You could cut a few strips of 1/4" lauan to hold the shape of the model. Besides giving you a model to work with it will also give you a template to use when you finalize the design. Another good technique I have used is to use insulation foam (pink or blue) to "carve out" your design. Shapes real easy with a cheese grater. I've made quite a few fiberglass molds / parts this way. They make a front section repair panel (rock auto $62.79) ..You could also do your model that way. Good investment imho before you start cutting into a oem irreplaceable quarter.
Very good ideas! Thanks! I was planning on making a full sized mock up with some sheet metal before I put the rust free OE quarters under the knife! I may re-think that and go with the foam board...that's one I've used before, the stuff carves out very well, just don't try to use it for a fiberglass mold unless you cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil 1st! The resin doesn't like the foam too much ;)

Sketched a few shapes and sizes on the quarters last night...possibly having 2nd thoughts, looking at the big picture, I think that a mod like this may be more visually suited for a fastback. The idea is certainly not dead yet, but I think I'll hold off until it's off the rotisserie and I can hang the doors & fenders and get a good look at the whole side of the car at once and see if it'll work or not.

Obsidian,

Looks like you;re pretty good with computers, so why don't you do a rendering of it first? I think this would be the best way to see what it would look like and then go from there.

DJ

Very good ideas! Thanks! I was planning on making a full sized mock up with some sheet metal before I put the rust free OE quarters under the knife! I may re-think that and go with the foam board...that's one I've used before, the stuff carves out very well, just don't try to use it for a fiberglass mold unless you cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil 1st! The resin doesn't like the foam too much ;)
Very easy to use the foam board as a mold. 2 Layers of glass cloth on the foam using EPOXY resin..Then bondo...primer..wax..pva release agent..I have put bondo directly onto the blue & pink foam with no problem

Obsidian,

Looks like you;re pretty good with computers, so why don't you do a rendering of it first? I think this would be the best way to see what it would look like and then go from there.

DJ
I'm actually working on a rendering of the whole car...still trying to wrap my head around "Blender" http://www.blender.org/ It's a very complicated process to teach yourself 3D modeling software by watching YouTube tutorials and reading as much as possible about it. So far I've done the hood about 5 times, the fenders about 9 or 10, and just started this afternoon with the doors and quarters. Anyway, I do plan on doing a few versions of what I have in my head on the computer. In the meantime I have a few small loose ends to deal with on the drip rail shave, and continue stripping the paint on the interior,

Obsidian,

DJ
I'm actually working on a rendering of the whole car...still trying to wrap my head around "Blender" http://www.blender.org/ It's a very complicated process to teach yourself 3D modeling software by watching YouTube tutorials and reading as much as possible about it. So far I've done the hood about 5 times, the fenders about 9 or 10, and just started this afternoon with the doors and quarters. Anyway, I do plan on doing a few versions of what I have in my head on the computer. In the meantime I have a few small loose ends to deal with on the drip rail shave, and continue stripping the paint on the interior,
Right on! You're doin a great job, so keep it up!

DJ

Alright, so I've made a few attempts at sketching, and computer modeling some different shapes and sizes and have concluded that I just can't get the exact look I want and would be pissed at myself for cutting up my quarters. So, we'll let pegasus have all the fun on this one :)

Back