SMS auto fabrics updated

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow - That looks so good!

If anyone has any used but decent black comfortweave pieces - I need a small amount to patch a front seat. A little black vinyl from seat base, too! Just patching for now.

Ray

Hello all, Newly registered to the site and appreciate the wealth of information here. My son and I have been working on “refreshing”  our 73 convertible that has been in the family for over 40 years. We are working on the interior and seats. They are all in pretty good shape except the driver’s seat bottom. It is blue comfortweave (interior code CB) I have been in contact with SMS and at first they indicated that they had the exact match in stock but when I requested the samples they indicated that they no longer had any of the blue (SMS #72-2212) I have checked with several other upholstery/fabric companies and so far no luck. Does anyone know of any possible stashes of the blue comfortweave? Since we only need enough for one seat bottom we may be able to get by with a remnant. Any help much appreciated.

Did you ask SMS when their next run would be? They do have the looms to produce the comfort weave material in any color. Like you say you might get some used material from another seat also. I got an almost perfect set of front and rear Ginger CW off ebay for $120. He took original out and put in repo for what reason I have no idea.

Hello all, Newly registered to the site and appreciate the wealth of information here. My son and I have been working on “refreshing”  our 73 convertible that has been in the family for over 40 years. We are working on the interior and seats. They are all in pretty good shape except the driver’s seat bottom. It is blue comfortweave (interior code CB) I have been in contact with SMS and at first they indicated that they had the exact match in stock but when I requested the samples they indicated that they no longer had any of the blue (SMS #72-2212) I have checked with several other upholstery/fabric companies and so far no luck. Does anyone know of any possible stashes of the blue comfortweave? Since we only need enough for one seat bottom we may be able to get by with a remnant. Any help much appreciated.
Years ago before SMS offered a close comfortweave material match, I would take the rear seat material out of other 72 and 73 verts and have it reupholstered into the front seat bottom and lower seat back following the original pleated sections. The back seats are hardly used and therefore the material is usually in very good condition.

Also, I believe coupes with deluxe interior came with comfortweave as well.

Just another possible route.

I don't have a good picture of the seat before I restored them, but the seat bottoms and lower seat back section were shot (stained, faded, ripped) and needed to be replaced along with much of the vinyl around the sides. I used material from a rear seat back to replace the bad sections.

Did you ask SMS when their next run would be? They do have the looms to produce the comfort weave material in any color. Like you say you might get some used material from another seat also. I got an almost perfect set of front and rear Ginger CW off ebay for $120. He took original out and put in repo for what reason I have no idea.
 I'm a little confused, from reading information on the comfortweave fabric my understanding was that the machine to make it was destroyed in Japan so there would not be any further production of it. Does SMS have a machine to produce new comfortweave ?? When I talked to them they didn't indicate that there was any possibility of getting more, that would be great if that is true.  Yes, strange that you would remove the original if still good...

Years ago before SMS offered a close comfortweave material match, I would take the rear seat material out of other 72 and 73 verts and have it reupholstered into the front seat bottom and lower seat back following the original pleated sections. The back seats are hardly used and therefore the material is usually in very good condition.

Also, I believe coupes with deluxe interior came with comfortweave as well.

Just another possible route.

I don't have a good picture of the seat before I restored them, but the seat bottoms and lower seat back section were shot (stained, faded, ripped) and needed to be replaced along with much of the vinyl around the sides. I used material from a rear seat back to replace the bad sections.

Thanks for the suggestion! That is definitely another option we can look into if we can't find any other fabric

I'm a little confused, from reading information on the comfortweave fabric my understanding was that the machine to make it was destroyed in Japan so there would not be any further production of it. Does SMS have a machine to produce new comfortweave ?? When I talked to them they didn't indicate that there was any possibility of getting more, that would be great if that is true.  Yes, strange that you would remove the original if still good...
I thought the material was made here and yes there was a fire and Ford ran out of some of the colors before end of production. They substituted solid vinyl in some cars for the inserts. There would have been not way SMS would have had any material if the original factory ran out without the machines. I thought that I read on their web site that they did own the looms. Will have to go read again. I had been putting off getting the white material.

OK went to their web site and it does state that they have the looms.

This is a copy paste from the web site.

The last several years have been a time of rapid change and expansion at our company and this new website has been designed to meet the demands of and improve the SMS experience for our growing customer base.

I am extremely proud of the fabrics and other automotive interior products we are now able to offer customers, whether it is for a prizewinning show car or a daily driver. In fact, since 1977 I have worked hard to build the world's largest collection of original and reproduction automotive cloth and vinyl for all American cars from the 1940s through the 2000s. This means we stock almost every clothvinyl, headliner, and vinyl top for every American car made during this time period, regardless of make. I know this is quite a boastful claim, but check us out will find it is indeed true. If we do not have a particular fabric or vinyl in stock, we can usually make it for the customer. That’s right, we even weave the rare automotive fabrics on looms here in the USA and are increasing the number of fabrics we make on a daily basis.

Here is link to the page.

https://smsautofabrics.com/pages/about-sms

I would call and talk to them most  all of the woven materials in the 1950's looked similar to the comfort weave. A loom  does not know or care what you put into it. The set up of the pattern and the feeding of the correct color  and type threads is what makes the material.

I bet they are just out and maybe like ammo it is gone until the next run gets into the schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the material was made here and yes there was a fire and Ford ran out of some of the colors before end of production. They substituted solid vinyl in some cars for the inserts. There would have been not way SMS would have had any material if the original factory ran out without the machines. I thought that I read on their web site that they did own the looms. Will have to go read again. I had been putting off getting the white material.

The last several years have been a time of rapid change and expansion at our company and this new website has been designed to meet the demands of and improve the SMS experience for our growing customer base.

I am extremely proud of the fabrics and other automotive interior products we are now able to offer customers, whether it is for a prizewinning show car or a daily driver. In fact, since 1977 I have worked hard to build the world's largest collection of original and reproduction automotive cloth and vinyl for all American cars from the 1940s through the 2000s. This means we stock almost every clothvinyl, headliner, and vinyl top for every American car made during this time period, regardless of make. I know this is quite a boastful claim, but check us out will find it is indeed true. If we do not have a particular fabric or vinyl in stock, we can usually make it for the customer. That’s right, we even weave the rare automotive fabrics on looms here in the USA and are increasing the number of fabrics we make on a daily basis.

I would call and talk to them most  all of the woven materials in the 1950's looked similar to the comfort weave. A loom  does not know or care what you put into it. The set up of the pattern and the feeding of the correct color  and type threads is what makes the material.

I bet they are just out and maybe like ammo it is gone until the next run gets into the schedule.
Thanks, that is good information.  I had read on other forums about comfortweave fabric and its availability. one site had this posted back in 2017:

"the only machines capable of producing that type of vinyl were located in Kyoto, Japan.  They were the sole supplier to everyone using that vinyl until the tsunami that hit Kyoto around 2000 destroyed the factory and the tooling to produce true woven comfortweave style vinyl.  The industry survived for a few years on existing stocks.  Not long after those stocks ran out the current pressed pattern comfortweave became widely available and is still in use today. "

That is why I was assuming that there weren't any new product being made. If SMS has a machine I'm surprised that they don't market the fact that they can produce more of it. I will call them back and confirm.

Thanks, that is good information.  I had read on other forums about comfortweave fabric and its availability. one site had this posted back in 2017:

"the only machines capable of producing that type of vinyl were located in Kyoto, Japan.  They were the sole supplier to everyone using that vinyl until the tsunami that hit Kyoto around 2000 destroyed the factory and the tooling to produce true woven comfortweave style vinyl.  The industry survived for a few years on existing stocks.  Not long after those stocks ran out the current pressed pattern comfortweave became widely available and is still in use today. "

That is why I was assuming that there weren't any new product being made. If SMS has a machine I'm surprised that they don't market the fact that they can produce more of it. I will call them back and confirm.

I Emailed Doug yesterday about purchase of the same 73 Mach deluxe blue pattern and got this...

*Best I can do is something similar at this time.    I get the 2212 once in a while, but haven’t had it this year.

Doug

I Emailed Doug yesterday about purchase of the same 73 Mach deluxe blue pattern and got this...

*Best I can do is something similar at this time.    I get the 2212 once in a while, but haven’t had it this year.

Doug
Thanks for the info, I guess that confirms what SMS told me as well. the search continues....

Back