Some opinions requested

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, Edelbrocks suck ass. They are a mild chevy 350 carb. Every Ford I've tried to tune that had em, had an off idle stumble that wouldn't go away. A holley based carb is much more tunable, and parts are more common. They also can suffer from hot start, fuel peculation issues. The edelbrock that was on my F350 was/acted flooded on hot starts. Annoying.

I have one of the summit carbs on my F-350. It uses holley parts. A jet change, and it runs great.
I recently took my Autolite 4300 off and placed on the shelve, got tired of the leaks. I put an Edlebrock on, ran MUCH better but I had perculation issues upon start up after engine got warm (could even hear a gurgling noice from the carb after shutting the engine down). Put a 1/2" heat insulator under the carb, took care of the problem, tight but it still allowed me enough clearance for my Ram Air system.

So my assessment so far it looks like the Elde' is better than the Demon....but lacks in some areas against the Holly. I too had to put an insulator under the Elde on my Malibu SS.

Seems the tried and true 750 Holley is the way to go. I think I owe it to myself to rebuild the one I have and go that route. Quick Fuel??? may have to give it a backup shot.

I hate carburetors, but for the best power in descending order (best to worst) Quickfuel, proform/holley Ultra HP, standard holley, edelbrock, demon.. Demon has had alot of quality issues in recent years, I work at a speed shop and heard alot of horror stories regarding initial quality.. like there being metal shavings/sand etc clogging needle and seats, jets and other important components..Edelbrocks don't make great power out of the box but are reliable, standard holleys are easy to tune once you really understand how they work and make better powerthan edelbrocks, proform/ holley ultra HP's are high tech holleys and quickfuels are glorified proforms lol..

Back