Some recent pictures of my 73 Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Qcode 4SPD Convertible
Here's the story on my 73 Mustang
Originally sold to a doctor in Santa Ana California and was
ordered with all available options.
Original price $3189 plus $1506 in options.
Here are some of the more interesting options
351 CID 4V with upgraded cam $107
TopLoader 4 speed with Hurst Shifter $192
Airconditioner $367...pretty pricey for the day
AM/FM Stereo $191
Competition Suspension $28.19

Iv'e had this car for 14 years and don't drive it much.
I thought I was having a carb problem so I pulled it and thought
about rebuilding it. Promptly broke the base plate and noticed it had
no gas in it. I guess my gas gauge is off and I had run it dry.

Always start with the simple things...you'd think I would know that by now
at 65.

Got it cleaned up and took it for a drive. Took some addtional pictures
so here you go.

Enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0661.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0665.JPG
    IMG_0665.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • InkedIMG_0658.jpg
    InkedIMG_0658.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • InkedIMG_0659.jpg
    InkedIMG_0659.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
awesome car, I noticed the ac compressor seems missing, I can live without my ac, you might consider aftermarket ram air, it’s not that expensive and added some punch to my H 351c.

Nice looking convertible! Love that you know the back story on her.
It's hard to believe this car is 50 years young. Still looking good.
The intake manifold is Edelbrock and it has a Holley 600 cfm. Ive replaced the water pump and alternator and some cables. Everything else is original.
Heads and lower have never been apart "supposedly".
I'm thinking of blacking out the hood scoops/plenum.
What do you think?

awesome car, I noticed the ac compressor seems missing, I can live without my ac, you might consider aftermarket ram air, it’s not that expensive and added some punch to my H 351c.
I removed the airco and the front bumper. I hated the "guppy" look.
When I did that the front end jumped up 2 inches. I had to cut the springs to get back to level.
I have all the parts for the ram air just haven't gotten around to the install.
Good to know it added some kick to your's. I'm trying to get as much bhp as possible without cracking the block open.
I notice your out of Arkansas. I actually bought this car from a guy in Little Rock..It's a small world after all.

Gorgeous convertible. I love that color combination.
This color car is a chick magnet. You would not believe the number of ladies that come up and compliment me on the car. I have been stopped by a car full of young college girls giving me thumbs up on the car. If only I had this car 30 years ago when I got married...:)... Gotta look around to make sure my wife's not reading this....better stop while I'm ahead..

Here's the story on my 73 Mustang
Originally sold to a doctor in Santa Ana California and was
ordered with all available options.
Original price $3189 plus $1506 in options.
Here are some of the more interesting options
351 CID 4V with upgraded cam $107
TopLoader 4 speed with Hurst Shifter $192
Airconditioner $367...pretty pricey for the day
AM/FM Stereo $191
Competition Suspension $28.19

Iv'e had this car for 14 years and don't drive it much.
I thought I was having a carb problem so I pulled it and thought
about rebuilding it. Promptly broke the base plate and noticed it had
no gas in it. I guess my gas gauge is off and I had run it dry.

Always start with the simple things...you'd think I would know that by now
at 65.

Got it cleaned up and took it for a drive. Took some addtional pictures
so here you go.

Enjoy
I think I know this car, live a few miles from me, I enjoy the nice photos.

I removed the airco and the front bumper. I hated the "guppy" look.
When I did that the front end jumped up 2 inches. I had to cut the springs to get back to level.
I have all the parts for the ram air just haven't gotten around to the install.
Good to know it added some kick to your's. I'm trying to get as much bhp as possible without cracking the block open.
I notice your out of Arkansas. I actually bought this car from a guy in Little Rock..It's a small world after all.
I bought my 73 vert ebay about 5 years ago, it had been terribly neglected, wrecked, messed with, wood chalks were jammed under the axel to hold it level. Everything but the engine was shot. I’m not a mechanic but grew up fixing cars, slow it was to bring it back on a budget! I sent for the Marti report which gave the ole girl some pedigree. With a little help from some friends, the 7173 folks, it finally came together! I know you will really enjoy your new stang!!

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0635.jpeg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0927.jpeg
    IMG_0927.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1566.jpeg
    IMG_1566.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0724.jpeg
    IMG_0724.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 0
I bought my 73 vert ebay about 5 years ago, it had been terribly neglected, wrecked, messed with, wood chalks were jammed under the axel to hold it level. Everything but the engine was shot. I’m not a mechanic but grew up fixing cars, slow it was to bring it back on a budget! I sent for the Marti report which gave the ole girl some pedigree. With a little help from some friends, the 7173 folks, it finally came together! I know you will really enjoy your new stang!!
I have to say, red with a white interior is an attractive package. Black with red is also one of my favorites...

I dig the 13 gallons of gas for $5.20 on the window sticker, making it .40 cents per gallon. Sounds right, in '73, when I was working in a 76 Union gas station, premium was in fact 39.9 cents per gallon, and regular was 36.9 cents per gallon. The price windows on the price windows on the pumps rolled up to 9.99, and then rolled back to 0.00, very few cars took 25 gallons to fill, to make the numbers roll to zero back then.

I have to say, red with a white interior is an attractive package. Black with red is also one of my favorites...
It was originally black interior which I like as well, one of the many prior owners did the change, the off white paint job on the interior panels was not that great, ok, but not great, I can live it but wish for a more original look. The changes I inherited included 15 inch wheels which caused the front tires to rub the frame, I had to size the front tires down. I re did the suspension and ordered front springs one inch lower which gave a better look but that's when I realized I needed slightly more narrow front tires. Front and rear stabilizer bars were a must, this made all the difference. I added power windows, auto locks, I sent the old radio to Restoration radio and they kept the appearance, but made it a modern bluetooth system high watt system. As I mentioned, I added aftermarket RAM air with an Edelbrock 4V and intake manifold, it helped, but the H 351c's were designed with small intake valves/ low compression/EPA stuff, I did eak out some hp, but it would take a stroker redo to really rev it up, and to me, I've got enough power for the ole girl.
I bought it about 6 years ago on Ebay for 14k, and have about another 25k in it, and that was doing some horse trading and a lot of the work myself. I think it's a good value for such a great car that I drive everyday.

Looking great!

Here are a couple shots of my 73.
Before you all start bashing... I know it's not a Mach1, i never claim it to be. I know it's not the origional color, but this is the look I wanted and because a Grabber Blue Mach1 is out of my price range..... this is what I've got. It does have a #'s matching 351cleveland, which makes it a very fun car. I did all work, including paint, myself. It was my first paint job and it turned out great.
Lastly... I know it's not a high dollar desirable car, but I fixed her up with my own two hands and I love her.20230609_135526.jpg20230609_135444.jpg20230609_135456.jpg20230603_083226.jpg20230603_082532~2.jpg

Back