Sound off if you have a Boss 351 or '72 R-code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!

3cb42ee4761cf1df0f4a45298dd10065.jpg

Thanks man. The red car is a Boss 351 and the white is a 73 Grande.

Well, the red in the first pic is a 71 Mach 1, and the red in the third is the Boss. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one is the '72 R-code? Haven't seen enough of those in person.

-Kurt
Hey Kurt. Sadly, I do not own a 72 R-code. Not yet, anyway. :D
Is that an old bottle of Dogfish Head in the foreground?

Hi all, my wife and I are the proud owners of a 1972 R code. It is bright red with a vermillion interior, and all the goodies that came with the R code option plus functional ram air and aftermarket air conditioning. It was a frame off restoration in 2004 and will be featured in the June 2014 issue of Mustang Monthly magazine.

Jeff - here is a link to the article of your car.

Very rare and nice looking car.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1406-1972-ford-mustang-mach-1-right-place-time/

1972-ford-mustang HO -mach-1-red-front.jpg

Ray

2014-08-18 259 c.jpg Been off the board for awhile, sorry, life & repair-o-mods. Missed the April 2014 Las Vegas Mustang 50th Show due to engine failure. All repaired (almost) and drove her to Hot August Nights 2014 in Reno-Sparks. Here is a pix of her on 8/2 Saturday's night cruise. Also, did a baseline dyno last Sunday.

I have a Wimbledon White Boss with std black interior. It is pretty basically equipped, but I am thankful for the power steering. My car was sold new in Cordell, Oklahoma. I contacted the selling dealer's family and learned the dealership burned down back in the late 70's. The family now owns a GM dealership. I spoke to Don Cannon's grandaughter and she said they had found a shoebox with some things from the old dealership and wondered if I would like to have any of the items. Ugh... YES!

She also mentioned some old damaged polaroid pictures and asked if my Mustang was white. I told her YES. The pictures were damaged but I told her I would take them even if they were in pieces!

Below is one of the pics that I tried with the help of friends to restore. The last pic is one of my car and and old GF in the staging lanes at Tulsa Drag strip circa about 1982.

I sure hope to get this car back running soon! Ray
Great story, great pix! Thanks for sharing Ray!

Just noticed this sub forum. OK, I have a 72 "R" Mach. I've already posted the Marti and some pics, sort of....I think in Intro's?

Grant

I have a Grabber Yellow Boss 351 with 44k original miles. Removed all the original suspension, engine, trans and brakes.

Dropped in all Global West suspension, Baer brakes. Richmond 6 speed and a 408 stoked Cleveland.
I would love to see/hear more about your mods to that Boss 351! Please?!
Me too!!!

Ray
As would I !

Mine having been converted from the 72 351 CJ stock q code/dual exhausts having an engine rebuilt to comp cam titanium solid lifters, Lunati Hi Performance flat top camshaft, 700CFM solid throttle body with the Holley 'Avenger' MPEFI force air inducted and an MSD unit w/QA1 front and Koni Classic rear shocks and rear anti sway bar count as to the least an unofficial R code?

Here is the way it looked when I first purchased it around 10 years ago. It has undergone three stages of transforming it into a complete pro-touring car plus some minor wheel changes along the way. It is almost done. I dropped in a 408 stroker Plus a Richmond six speed trans and have the original drivetrain mounted on a custom cradle.

I will start a new thread with build pics for those of you that might have any questions. By the way it's also for sale :)

Pic of cradle and where the original engine and trans will be mounted.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413999058.703057.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1972 R code, Runs and drives, Needs restoring but was daily driven til last month, Vin matched motor and trans, Low option car, Magnum 500s, Floor mats, Side stripes, Original bright blue with black standard interior, Hoping to return to original.

my brother has a pewter and black boss 351,sitting diassembled in my garage,99 percent original,80.000 miles,one previous owner,only options are an 8 track and rear spoiler

Bought a very nice Boss 351 last month after looking for just the right B1 to make me happy. The B1's like all the 71-73 are really great cars!

image.jpg

Tampa Florida...number 226701 1971 Boss 351 in Bright red built 7/26/71 in the last week of production. Car originally hails from Griffin Georgia by way of Alabama. I am the 5th owner and have trace the history of the car back to the original owner. It was given as a gift to an 18 year old graduate for the first few years of existence. Car currently has 34000 miles on it and is a survivor car. Received a crappy paint job in 93 that still is on the car today I rebuilt the complete drivetrain and suspension. Motor is detailed to show standards but the rest of the car needs work. I like it the way it is because I have no fears of taking it out and having fun and laying down rubber when I choose.

May know the original owner of that grabber lime boss 351. He is a member of our Facebook group "1971 BOSS 351 MUSTANG" and has been inquiring to th current location. Any chance your dad has registered it with Rick Ybarra in the Boss 351 book.

Back