Spark Plug Wires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2010 Ford F150 Screw
2010 Buick Lacrosse
2002 Triumph Trophy
1972 Mustang Grande
1954 Ford F100
Ok so most of you know I am having problems with vacuum leaks on my intake. Yesterday I bought a vacuum tester and attached it to the intake manifold at the back of the intake. I then started the car and ajusted the carb to get as much vacuum as possible but the idle still hiccuped every once in a while. Not my concern now since I am going to probably take off everything and reseal it again. New issue. I noticed that the spark plug wires on the right hand side of the engine were sparking when they came in contact with the power steering pump stem. Little sparks, but I noticed that the engine started acting up when the sparking started. Now remember, these are new wires and I bought a $45 crimper tool to make sure I installed them correctly. What the heck is going on? Whats with the sparking and what do I do about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
The sparking is causing your rough engine idle. The wires are toast if they broke over to ground (any metal part other than the spark plug)with an arc to the engine (you now have a hole in the wire) Return them NOW!

They are brand new taylor wires and I made sure to do them exactly right. Could there be some residue on the wires that would cause this?

No, It's not residue. Either a hole was created while making them up (doubt it) OR inferior material of construction. Take them back and let them tell you, then you'll know.

Man guys. Here I am buying the best of the best and still having to redo it. There has to be a demon on my shoulder screwing me at every turn.

Man guys. Here I am buying the best of the best and still having to redo it. There has to be a demon on my shoulder screwing me at every turn.
LOL dont feel like the Lone Ranger:D See my clutch thread. That just the nature of the game
I am going to pull the wires and clean them them reinstall them. They had a greasy residue on them when I took them out. BTW guys these things have been sitting in the box on my shelf for over a year. I doubt I can get a new set. I have the reciept like I have all of my reciepts but unless they have a lifetime warranty I am buying a new set. If the cleaning does not work I will try to find the one thats causing the spark and replace it.

Unless it is a conductive residue I don't think it could cause this, as others have said it sounds like there is a break somewhere

AJ

Thats what I do not know. What the heck the residue was. If anything, I want to find the wire thats causing it. I think I may put my meter on it and find is specifically first.

Taylor wires come with a shiny silicone coating on them. Kind of annoying but that's what they are. They should be spiral core wound wires. I've had my set on the Mach for 10 years or so now with no issues. Like others have said, you probably got a bad set or something.

I will find out today. It is probably only one wire causing the spark so I will find it and replace it. I will verify before I drop another $60 on wires.

You guys were so right. I do not know how I did it but when I pulled the cables to clean them I found a rip in 2 of the new cables. I think maybe the aftermarket wire holders or the power steering pump dipstick must have sliced them. Here is what I found, give me hell. I went ahead and ordered 2 new cables which almost cost as much as a new set. As you can see, vacuum tester and assorted tools looking for the problems. LOL I guess I should be used to it by now. P2050002.JPGP2050005.JPGP2050001.JPG

They are but I am going to file the edges round and make sure the wires do not touch the power steering pump the next time around. $40 for 2 new wires. Damn. And I just paid for the Rocketman tach upgrade.

Tell me about it. As I said. I bought the best of everything for this car. And I shop around for the best price. Even the carpet kit for the trunk is custom. I decided this is going to be my daughters HS car and I just bought a 73 Dodge Challenger all original except the engine and rearend. No new paint or interior. No rust. I am thinking a custom forest green paint job with low gloss black for the stripes. Think 440 magnum with 550HP and EFI. Oh well. Thats for my next project. This one is my important one now.

Back