Speedometer Cable Routing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande, 351C
I'm in the process of swapping out my FMX for a top loader. The transmission is in and am ready to install the speedometer cable as well as the backup light wiring. The FMX cable runs under the driver's side and mounted with two clips. I'm thinking it would be similar on the passenger side for the 4sp. I've been looking at a bunch of manual shift Mustangs for sale that show photos of the underside but with no luck of close-ups of the passenger side of the transmission. I would like to install it exactly like a stock 4 speed. Any help with photos or a good description for this and the back-up wire would be much appreciated.

I switched my 71 from a C4 to a toploader. Since the only available cable at the time was 80" long, I made my own routing. Used a fuel line clamp to attach the cable to the floor support, ran the cable out away from the headers and up across the firewall. IIRC, I used a cable clamp to secure it to the firewall on the passenger side.

1719415804915.png

I switched my 71 from a C4 to a toploader. Since the only available cable at the time was 80" long, I made my own routing. Used a fuel line clamp to attach the cable to the floor support, ran the cable out away from the headers and up across the firewall. IIRC, I used a cable clamp to secure it to the firewall on the passenger side.

View attachment 90131
My cable is quite long also. May have to copy you on that.

Back