Sport Mirror Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, won't have to ask the wife to check the right lane before I pull into it. Normally what I get when I ask if the right lane is clear: "I think so, yeah looks like it, wait, wait, yeahhh kinda looks OK, what are you doing ...why did you wait??? now a car is coming!"

Jim
Wow...when you ask your wife a question, she actually responds? You must be newlyweds. I thought one of the keys to a long marriage was to ignore your spouses questions.

I checked with Mustang Depot yesterday, just in case they had one in stock (they're 2 miles from my office), but they don't, but can have one in by noon on Monday. Because I destroyed my flat mirror when trying to remove it to tighten up the swivel I'm going to have them ship one in. I probably won't be able to pick it up until Tuesday, though. If no one else has one in hand by then I'll let you know what it looks like.

OK guys I received the mirror, just layed it over the mirror already in the housing and it's a perfect fit. The only issue I have with it is they have the "liability" warning on them (OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR). They also advertised that the mirror can be installed directly over the original glass to allow for removal if you ever want to go back to your orginal mirror. The instruction indicate if you wish to have it so you can remove it, then silicone the mirror on top of the mirror in the housing. If you want it permanent, break out the old mirror then silcone it directly to the holder. For the life of me I don't understand how it would be removable if you silcone it to the original mirror??? Also the mirror is super thin and appears very fragile. They're made by Scott Drake so the quality is probably pretty good.

In any case I've got a cruise tomorrow so not messing with it until Sunday, I'll probably use a double sided tape to stick it over my current mirror to insure I'm happy with it before I silcone it on. I'll let you guys know what I think and if actually does improve visability on the passenger's side.

Jim

Anyone have pics on how to remove the glass? The Q code mirror is cracked and I have a perfect mirror glass on the H code that I totaled.

OK guys I received the mirror, just layed it over the mirror already in the housing and it's a perfect fit. The only issue I have with it is they have the "liability" warning on them (OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR). They also advertised that the mirror can be installed directly over the original glass to allow for removal if you ever want to go back to your orginal mirror. The instruction indicate if you wish to have it so you can remove it, then silicone the mirror on top of the mirror in the housing. If you want it permanent, break out the old mirror then silcone it directly to the holder. For the life of me I don't understand how it would be removable if you silcone it to the original mirror??? Also the mirror is super thin and appears very fragile. They're made by Scott Drake so the quality is probably pretty good.

In any case I've got a cruise tomorrow so not messing with it until Sunday, I'll probably use a double sided tape to stick it over my current mirror to insure I'm happy with it before I silcone it on. I'll let you guys know what I think and if actually does improve visability on the passenger's side.

Jim
Thanks for the update. So it sounds like it's not easily removable if you want it to look original for a car show.

I stuck it on with double sided tape but the mirror is so thin I suspect it may break if I try to remove it. It's not something that would be easily removable if you want it to look original for a car show.

It did decrease blind areas on the driver's side but when they say "objects are closer than they appear", they mean it. On the cruise yesterday it took some getting used to, cars looked MUCH further away than they really were...but at least you could see them.

Jim

I stuck it on with double sided tape but the mirror is so thin I suspect it may break if I try to remove it. It's not something that would be easily removable if you want it to look original for a car show.

It did decrease blind areas on the driver's side but when they say "objects are closer than they appear", they mean it. On the cruise yesterday it took some getting used to, cars looked MUCH further away than they really were...but at least you could see them.

Jim
Drivers side???????????

Jim
Drivers side???????????
LOL, meant passenger's side for the driver.

I went to the Mustang Depot site checkout - $199 smackeroonies to send one to Australia, and that's ECONOMY mail !!

All I can say to that is rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

yhNXb.jpg

I went to the Mustang Depot site checkout - $199 smackeroonies to send one to Australia, and that's ECONOMY mail !!

yhNXb.jpg
You've got to be kidding! What ya doing buying the boat (or plane)?

Yes, use double sided tape. That's how the replacement I got from rock auto attached.
Put the double sided tape fairly close to the edges and none in the middle of the mirror. To remove use a razor blade or the longer version utility knife blade to cut through the tape. Goo be gone or nail polish remover works pretty good to remove the tape residue.

Last edited by a moderator:

yhNXb.jpg
I'll pick one up for you and ship it for half that price!!!! ::tease::

Finally got mine today.

The glass is the same as the replacement side mirror reproduction. The shape also matched the original ford oem mirror.

Ok so I read the directions about installing it either on top of the original mirror or to break out the original mirror and place it with the new one.

I used a micro jewelers flat head screw driver got behind the original glass mirror and was able to pop it off the glue in one piece without breakage.

Next I cleaned the original silicon glue off, cleaned the new mirror and used silicon II sealer as the instructions recommended I put 4 large beads on the corners as the original mirror and then outlined with more silicon sealant. I mounted the new mirror in the frame and centered it.

Let it dry for 3 hours then remounted the mirror and frame on the car.

Got in and adjusted the mirror and wow I like it. Huge field of view change and reduction of the blind spot. I'm letting the glue dry for 24 hours before taking a spin to road test it.

So far I like it a lot.

Now the instructions say you cannot use this replacement mirror on the oem original side mirror I disagree I placed the mirror on top of the original and the profile and thickness matched oem.

Unless there is something I don't know about behind the original mirror you should be able to glue the replacement to the oem frame as well.

I'll snap one tommarow but really it's nothing exciting the mirror looks the same except for objects in mirror are closer then they appear message :)

Back