Sports Roof interior panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Z

Reaction score
My Car
1972 SportsRoof, 351 4V CJ, 4 Speed, AC, PS, PDB, Competition Suspension, Folding Rear Seat, Tilt Wheel, Instrumentation Group, Console, Convenience Group, Appearance Protection Group,
[url=https://ibb.co/eBPUOG][img]https://preview.ibb.co/hmjkxb/IMG_2113.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by a moderator:
The door panels have been covered on numerous occasions.  My vote still goes to the best as TMI. Also the most expensive. But they are correct.

I have a set of the SD panels. I did get them to fit ok, but the top line did not match up with the package tray trim, and there is no way to lower them. The plastic is brittle, I took them out and refurbished my originals because they just fit better, but since then I have moved the SD pieces around in storage and little edges and bits keep getting breaking off. They do work in a pinch, but they are not great. You will have to cut out seat belt holes and ash tray holes if you want them, and the lower bolt brackets are plastic not steel. Good luck!

Has anyone tried the Scott Drake interior quarter panels yet? If so how did you like them?  Scott Drake D1ZZ-6331486/7P Mustang Quarter Panels FB 1971-73 (cjponyparts.com)

Even though they come in black should I die them in black for a better look or leave them as is?

Are there other manufacturers/vendors I should look into.  I'd like to replace the ones I have in black.
Look at the bad reviews on the above mentioned site and here are also some users of these aftermarket quarter panels, for example Ken. And they all have in common that they are totally crap, regardless, if they are for Fastback or Convertible or Coupe. Look out for decent OEM ones or restore your own. I bought some decent ones in ginger color 5 years ago as a backup whenever I have the need for a pair. My original ones have holes in front for speakers but as I will install handles for roll down quarter windows (a big thank you forever, Omie01) it doesn't matter anyway. 

Safe your money for other parts, simply don't do it! 

Look at the bad reviews on the above mentioned site and here are also some users of these aftermarket quarter panels, for example Ken. And they all have in common that they are totally crap, regardless, if they are for Fastback or Convertible or Coupe. Look out for decent OEM ones or restore your own. I bought some decent ones in ginger color 5 years ago as a backup whenever I have the need for a pair. My original ones have holes in front for speakers but as I will install handles for roll down quarter windows (a big thank you forever, Omie01) it doesn't matter anyway. 

Safe your money for other parts, simply don't do it! 
Yes... You bring back some bad memories for me with those crap panels. I swear, they were so bad on the fitment, you have to wonder what the company was thinking. What made it worse was their initial refusal to take them back, stating that I was the only complaint they had received.... In the end, I got my money back through PayPal, but, I had to pay for shipping to return the crap back. The only real bad experience I had considering the 10’s of 1000’s of $$$ I spent on restoring my car. 

I have a set in mine, and like the others mention they don't fit very well... but I was in a hurry to get my car done, so they're still in there - ill-fitting, and all.  I used the SEM black metallic paint & process to at least get them to the right color.  But, they're in the back seat area where nobody ever sits, and are WAY better than the mangled ones I pulled out after I first got my Mach 1, so I'm not sweatin' the small stuff.  One day when I get froggy, I'll pull 'em out and try to make them fit a bit better.

And just like the others, I am not endorsing these panels, or recommending anybody get them, either.

Back