Spreadbore Carb Issues and Rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mweeps

Reaction score
My Car
07 Mustang GT
First car 351 H Code 73 Mach 1 totalled in college
Has anyone rebuilt their Spreadbore Carb? We need recommendations on rebuilding Dad's R Code Carb. It will only start with starter spray. Once it runs it seems fine but if it sets more than an hour or two it won't pull gas in and we have to spray it again to get it started. I haven't seen the car my younger brother has it in his garage in PA. So I am only going by what he has tried to tell me.

Which spreadbore carb?

Motorcraft 4300-D D2ZZ-9510-D on a 72 R Code

Moto do you ever go buy the cruise in at a church near Pittsburgh every Friday? I tried to ask my brother where it I think he said Wexford?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wexford Starlite cruise, maybe a mile north of Rt.910 on Rt.19.

Haven't been there this year. It's huge. Average weekly turnout over 1000 cars. I see they've extended it to Saturday morning, too :0

Next weekend should be the final for the year. Turnout is in the multiple thousands.

Google "starlite car cruise wexford pa", lotsa info.

Pretty cool deal for a preacher/host who "likes cars" :)

Might be on the calendar for Friday. It's only about 45 minutes from me.

------------------

On the carb, check it for porosity. I've had Quadrajets leak the bowls dry overnight; draining into the intake, down the cylinders and past the rings. Bad stuff.

Was dry on the outside, only leaked into the intake.

Remove the carb, put it on the bench on newspaper, fill the bowls and let it sit for a while.

If it stays dry, I wouldn't bother opening it up yet. I'd next look at changing the fuel pump. Check valve could be bad. I think there was a recent thread about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wexford Starlite cruise, maybe a mile north of Rt.910 on Rt.19.

Haven't been there this year. It's huge. Average weekly turnout over 1000 cars. I see they've extended it to Saturday morning, too :0

Next weekend should be the final for the year. Turnout is in the multiple thousands.

Google "starlite car cruise wexford pa", lotsa info.

Pretty cool deal for a preacher/host who "likes cars" :)

Might be on the calendar for Friday. It's only about 45 minutes from me.

------------------

On the carb, check it for porosity. I've had Quadrajets leak the bowls dry overnight; draining into the intake, down the cylinders and past the rings. Bad stuff.

Was dry on the outside, only leaked into the intake.

Remove the carb, put it on the bench on newspaper, fill the bowls and let it sit for a while.

If it stays dry, I wouldn't bother opening it up yet. I'd next look at changing the fuel pump. Check valve could be bad. I think there was a recent thread about it.
Thanks for the info. I will pass it on to my Brother I was hoping to get up there to see the cars but if this is the last weekend I won't see them.

Back