spring perch torqur specs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
Does any know if there is a tourque spec fot the lower spring prech to upper control arm?

I am replaceing almost everything on my suspension.

Also does the car have to be on the ground to torque the upper anf lower control arms?

Jim

Does any know if there is a tourque spec fot the lower spring prech to upper control arm?

Also does the car have to be on the ground to torque the upper anf lower control arms?

Jim
I used german torque on mine "guten tight" :p

Jim
I do not remember the specs right now would have to look at the shop manual. I was told to have the front suspension under a load when you tighten the lower control arms.Have the car sitting with stands underneath the control arm.The uppers are no issue.

You just want the lower at ride hieght.In the long run I do not think it matters as your front end shop will change the setting anyway,assuming you have it alighned.

Jim
Jim it's 25-40 as per the service manual.

& it say's to torque the arms BEFORE installing the spring nothing about being on the ground

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim -

I didn't use a torque wrench on mine - used the same scientific process as Roy. Then again, I'm part German... :)

Regardless, I just got them nice and tight with a socket wrench and didn't muscle the crap out of them. No problems so far.

Doc

Jim
Jim it's 25-40 as per the service manual.

& it say's to torque the arms BEFORE installing the spring nothing about being on the ground

Scott
Scott,I have often quesioned the piont about being on the ground myself.I had a shop teacher in college that said you should have the suspension loaded. He claimed it affected the ride higth. Had a front end guy tell me the same thing,many years ago.But on a Mustang/Fairlane etc....when you do an alignement you loosen the lower bolts anyway. Good info

1973_Ford-8.JPG

Latest posts

Back