Stance problem, too low in the rear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
Hi everyone, I need your help :blush:

I changed the rear leaf springs on my Mustang Grande. I bought a pair of the Boss 351/72 Mustang HO models, those leaf springs are stiffer than the usual ones. Now my car is too low in the rear !

I need to find a part that can lift my Mustang in the rear , like a sort of leaf spring shackle ? but adjustable so I can choose the right stance ?

Any help is welcome, thanks ! :)

Photo1178.jpg

Make a set. Use the existing shackle as a template and add additional holes every inch. This is not for driving but to tell you how many inch lift springs you will need to get it where you like. They make +1in and +2 I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could lower the front.........
The front is already lowered a bit :) (cut front springs and polyurethan spacers)

Lowering more in the front may be bad for ground clearance as i use long tube headers.

IMO lowered cars look really good with big rims, but not that much with the standard 14 or 15 inch wheels. I like the "classic" stance with classic wheels :)

This should do the lifting job :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-1300

What about having the original leaf spings re-arched? Any commercial truck/frame shop can do it or recommend a shop that can.

Ray

What about having the original leaf spings re-arched? Any commercial truck/frame shop can do it or recommend a shop that can.

Ray
Don´t forget that Slydrums is here in Europe. There are hardly any shops that do such jobs here.

How about longer leaf spring shackles? I have a set of performance leaf springs that lower the rear about 2 inches. Unfortunately my rear wheels stick out too far and I don't have the space until I get me new wheels and tires. I've considered getting longer shackles to make up the difference in drop. Is there any drawback to that?

Ray
Don´t forget that Slydrums is here in Europe. There are hardly any shops that do such jobs here.
OK, if I was in France I'd contact these folks as a start in my attempt to locate a shop or distributor for suspension spring options:

FRANCE

Eaton Power Solutions SAS

ZAC des Delâches

BP 1077

Gometz le Chatel

91940 Les Ulis

T +33 1 60 12 74 00

F +33 1 60 12 74 01

E [email protected]

Best of luck!

Ray

Hi everyone, I need your help :blush:

I changed the rear leaf springs on my Mustang Grande. I bought a pair of the Boss 351/72 Mustang HO models, those leaf springs are stiffer than the usual ones. Now my car is too low in the rear !

I need to find a part that can lift my Mustang in the rear , like a sort of leaf spring shackle ? but adjustable so I can choose the right stance ?

Any help is welcome, thanks ! :)
Years ago, my 72 R code seemed to sag in the rear so I had a local semi-trailer company re-arch the springs. It worked...... maybe a little too well. I then added 2" lowering blocks to get it where I wanted. Worked fine for me.

Good luck.

Some one put shackles on mine...Ill post pick below..You can see the things sticking out the back..but i do have to say the car sits nice..and doesnt handle bad either as i expected "Im sure much better with out"..I would see if a truck company could do something with them springs..They got all sorts of spacers and such usualy....Well i guess lux said those kinda companies hard to find there..mmmm ..shackles if last resort are not that bad...had them on mine for over 20 years....wow my car sure looks tiny next to them new cars huh? lol

Thanks for your answers !

Doesn't a spacer between the spring and axle lower the car instead of lifting it ??

I found this shackle kit that looks good :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-3-POSITION-SHACKLE-LEAF-SPRING-LIFT-KIT-RAKE-3-2-1-INCH-500-XL-GT-GTA-V8-/121067268440?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c302be958&vxp=mtr
if you did that on these cars, it'll lower it. only in trucks where the axle is below the axles it'll work.

u really should just lower the front of the car!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I found a pair of used adjustable shackles, they should do the job fine.

I can't really lower the car more in the front because of the headers. Here in Europe we have to drive on some worn out roads, nothing comparable to the american roads unfortunately. I used to have the font lower than now but it was too much and I was constantly hitting the road.

Back