Stanglover's LED Headlight Upgrade.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Many of you have been following my thread and posts on my "HELLA" headlight LED conversion and the problem I found when I got caught in a heavy rainstorm and water got into the lamps due to the fact that on these cars, the headlight is totally exposed to any water that can get in between the hood and fenders.
My first solution, was to design and vacuum form a top cover piece that will stop water entering the lamps. After it was evident that due to many variations in restorations and/or hood twist locks as well as a different version for the 73's would need to be made, I decided a different approach was needed.
My background was in automotive air induction prototype manufacture. Designing vacuum form tools was the norm. I decided to design and build a new mini vacuum former and then to develop a "direct fit" shield to cover the entire top half of the lamps. Once fitted, there is only a small piece of the shield visible and covers the heat sink part of the LED bulb. This design will work on ALL 71-73 Mustangs and although not tested, it could possibly fit many other vehicles that use standard 7" round headlights.
I chose the Hella brand because they are street legal in Canada. There are other brands out there, but many are listed as "off road" only, so beware of what is ordered.
The Hella 002395801 Vision Plus H4 165mm (7") 12V high/low beam headlight kit which contains 2 lamps (with Halogen bulbs and dust seals), is what I would recommend. For the LED,s I chose the Sealight brand bulbs which are H4/9003/HB2 type. These are Xenon white, 6000K and 14000 lumens. Again there are other brands to consider, but must be H4 9003 HB2 type. Base heat sink sizes vary. My shields are designed to take up to 1 3/4 " diameter, so beware of what is ordered. Again, these are my recommendations based on my own experience and I'm more than happy with the performance of these LED headlights. A PFD instruction sheet is provided via email or in paper form if requested.
One other upgrade I would absolutely recommend is to add headlight relays. This will enhance the output and even improve the interior lights. For relays I highly suggest NOT buying the cheap relay harnesses available online, but spend a little extra and buy the components from Bill at HiPoParts.com. By doing this, you can fully customize the harness to suit your build. I do provide a PFD for this, courtesy of Bill at www.hipoparts.com
As for the original "top shield" as I've come to call it, is still available. Currently, I'm working on a redesign which should accommodate variations in headlight bucket assembly and twist lock bracketry. Again, a 73 version will be available. One very positive comment I received at cars shows, was that the "top shield" cleans up what is really quite an ugly area under the hood. I agree.
To order or request a quote, please use the "conversation" tab.
There is an ad in the For Sale section of classifieds on the forum. Search "Hella headlight direct fit water shields now for sale"
Thanks for the interest.

Attachments

• IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    556.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    549 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    929.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Well folks, it finally happened. I went to a large (400 +) car show yesterday, July 14th, yes a Friday, for an afternoon /evening show. The weather was forecast for possible storms, but all in all we got lucky and most of the rain missed us. I said "most". Just before wrap up at 8pm, we got hit by a sudden downpour.
That gave me proof that the headlight water shields I designed and made actually work. Not a drop of water got into the lamps. It would have been more conclusive if I'd been driving at the time, but I'm happy with the success.
The shields are still for sale and will work on any (with minor modification for sealed beam) H4 7" type lamp even if just to cover up the sealed beam plug for better looks. Contact me via my ad in classifieds or PM.
Here are a couple of pics;

Attachments

• 20230714_183439.jpg
    20230714_183439.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230714_194452.jpg
    20230714_194452.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_194546.jpg
    20230714_194546.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_194551.jpg
    20230714_194551.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well folks, it finally happened. I went to a large (400 +) car show yesterday, July 14th, yes a Friday, for an afternoon /evening show. The weather was forecast for possible storms, but all in all we got lucky and most of the rain missed us. I said "most". Just before wrap up at 8pm, we got hit by a sudden downpour.
That gave me proof that the headlight water shields I designed and made actually work. Not a drop of water got into the lamps. It would have been more conclusive if I'd been driving at the time, but I'm happy with the success.
The shields are still for sale and will work on any (with minor modification for sealed beam) H4 7" type lamp even if just to cover up the sealed beam plug for better looks. Contact me via my ad in classifieds or PM.
Here are a couple of pics;
Good to know! I haven't tested mine out yet but ready if the opportunity arises. ;)

So you believe that no one can piss on your work and get spoil things? *LOL*

Back