LED Headlight Conversion with Direct Fit Water Shields

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Seeing is believing! The HELLA H4 002395801 Vision Plus headlights with Sealight LED H4/9003/HB2 or similar bulbs, provide almost as good night vision as modern car headlights at a fraction of the cost of some conversion LED headlights on the market.
However, as stated, due to the design of our cars and the fact that this headlight can get water inside should you get caught in a rainstorm, as happened to me, I came up with a practical, easy to install solution that WORKS. Even with the additional cost of the shields, the overall cost is about the cost of just one Holley LED lamp sold by NPD at $215 US each. Two headlights for the price of one works for me! (based on a current exchange rate of 35% US/Canada)
As an added feature, I installed relays. These are not necessary, but they do improve the overall efficiency of the headlights and the interior lights. My choice was to purchase the components from Bill at www.HiPoParts.com and with his diagram, I was easily able to construct a tailor made relay harness that fit my car as I wanted. Cheaper relay kits are available online, but buyer beware.
For more information, please PM or email me. Currently PayPal is the preferred method of payment from the US/world or e-transfer in Canada.
My thanks to those who have already purchased. I hope you're enjoying worry free driving should the sky's rain on you!

Attachments​

• IMG_2192.JPG
    IMG_2192.JPG
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2193.JPG
    IMG_2193.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0

Last edited:
UPDATE;

I've been asked if it would be possible to develop a new water shield to fit INSIDE the headlight buckets. Whilst the original direct fit water shield works very well for the Hella Vision Plus H4 headlights or similar, that design does not work for those who wish to buy one-piece LED lights like the Holley RetroBrights or the many other brands out there that are popular with the "Jeep" people. With these lights, the bulb heat sink could be vulnerable to water dripping on to them. When these are hot, that may cause them to fail. The "tail" on the shield should prevent that happening.
The pictures below are of the very first prototype off the vacuum former. There is some tweaks to be made, but all in all, I'm very happy with the initial results. Now I just have to decide how to install them into the bucket to keep them in place. I'm thinking Goop as it won't be affected by any water that may get on the shield. The downside of that is I can't supply it. Perhaps a waterproof adhesive tape. Any Ideas or thoughts? I'm always open to members ideas and suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_2364.JPG
    IMG_2364.JPG
    584 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2365.JPG
    430 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    673.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    513.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2369.JPG
    IMG_2369.JPG
    588.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Since the bulb would act to hold the shield in place, don’t you just need to keep it from rotating from its installed orientation? I would think double backed sticky tape would do that. You could supply a Small roll or suggest a brand if same. Just my thoughts.

Of course, it’s an awesome design. Thanks for keeping the hobby moving forward.

Since the bulb would act to hold the shield in place, don’t you just need to keep it from rotating from its installed orientation? I would think double backed sticky tape would do that. You could supply a Small roll or suggest a brand if same. Just my thoughts.

Of course, it’s an awesome design. Thanks for keeping the hobby moving forward.
Thank you Steve.
Yes, that is exactly what I'm now thinking. I mean, I don't know what I was thinking!! I already have double sided automotive tape for attaching car emblems etc. which will be water resistant. That is what I could supply.
Now for a tweak or two and it should be good to go on sale. Ad to follow in "Classifieds"

Today I made a small change to the length of the heat sink cover "tube".
Just for a try out, I placed 3M adhesive tape as seen. I was not too fussy about cutting it to any particular length as you can see. Just details!! I did see a way to improve locating the shield in the bucket, so that's on the next step.
Then I blew the relay switch on the vacuum former, so no more work today.

Attachments

• IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    558.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    534.8 KB · Views: 0
“I’m always replacing the dam relay switches” Dr. Frankenstein
Yeah it was the relay that allows the vacuum former to switch between the heater element and the vacuum motor so it doesn't blow the breaker. I only have 110v 20 amps in my shop which was fine until I started playing around with this little project.
I need to sell lots of shields to pay an electrician to put 220v in. Hint hint!!

UPDATE # 2

I was going to wait until a member I've been working with, can confirm that the latest redesign will actually work with the Holley RetoBight headlights he has installed on his Mustang, but I think I've developed this new "Bucket Shield" as far as it practically can be. A minor tweak or two on trimming is about all I can do. This shield should work with ANY 7" LED headlight, but unfortunately, I'm not able to actually check that out for myself. None of my local auto parts store stock these high priced fancy lamps.
The problem I have is I'm far too impatient, so here are some pics of it so far. I do need to take some better shots before I do another PDF, but you get the idea.
One advantage of this design is it offers a choice, but personally, if installing the HELLA lamps with separate LED's, I would opt for the original "Direct Fit" shields. Also, I can still offer the original "Top Shield" as that also helps to clean up the top of the headlight bucket area.
NOTE: the raised "hood" is necessary because I saw a slight possibility water could get under the shield at that point, red arrow.
Once proven, I'll post in Classifieds.

Attachments

• IMG_2377.JPG
    IMG_2377.JPG
    618.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2387.JPG
    IMG_2387.JPG
    634.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2391.JPG
    IMG_2391.JPG
    635.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2392.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
UPDATE # 3

The "Bucket Shield" now ready for sale.

I can supply this in two versions.
Version #1 fits the Holley RetroBright and other brand lamps and will have no "hood".
Version #2 will retain the hood and will fit all other type lamps such as the Hella Vision Plus, Cibie etc. A new PDF will follow shortly.

There has been lots of interest in the shield idea, but so far, only a few have seen the reasoning and benefit behind them.
We do NOT intend driving our classics in rain, but the fact is it happens. I've been caught in a couple of absolutely unexpected downpours. The last one was just after I'd installed my Hella LED conversion lights. There was a considerable amount of water in them, not the fault of the lamps per se, but the way our cars were designed with no seal of any kind between the hood and fenders. ALL our headlights are prone to this, but of course with the old sealed beam type, it didn't matter.

These shields, whether they be the original "Top Shield" which I can still make, the "Direct Fit" shield that fits directly onto the Hella or similar lamps, or the latest "Bucket Shield" that will work with any lamp, are cheap insurance against water damaging expensive headlight upgrades .
See my new add in our Classified section for price and shipping to the US.

Thanks to all how have ordered and those who are about to.

This is very cool! I bought a set of Oracle H4s w/Halos for my Jeep, and had to trim the factory buckets just a little to fit them. I was so pleased with the almost OEM look of these newer lights, that I've been kicking around a set for the Mach 1.

Here's what they Oracles look like next to my original Omegas still in the Jeep grille (Oracle on the passenger side, Omega on the driver side) and the backside of an Oracle on the bench surface:
IMG_20220926_133142199.jpg

And here we are with just the Halos lit up. I love this look... I wired them up as DRLs.
IMG_20230416_182108366_HDR.jpg

This is very cool! I bought a set of Oracle H4s w/Halos for my Jeep, and had to trim the factory buckets just a little to fit them. I was so pleased with the almost OEM look of these newer lights, that I've been kicking around a set for the Mach 1.

Here's what they Oracles look like next to my original Omegas still in the Jeep grille (Oracle on the passenger side, Omega on the driver side) and the backside of an Oracle on the bench surface:
View attachment 86646

And here we are with just the Halos lit up. I love this look... I wired them up as DRLs.
View attachment 86647
That looks good. A nice look on the Jeep and a great idea to make them DRL's
The Oracle lamps are the same basic shape as the old sealed beam, the Hella H4 and many others on the market, However, with the separate bulbs, I would not trust the rubber "seal" to keep out water should it get onto the lamps. A set of "Direct Fit shields ought to work to prevent that, BUT I have no idea what the bucket opening at the back looks like on the Jeep. If the hole is 2" or a little bigger, they should fit. If they do fit the Jeep, I have another market to tap into.
Thanks for the compliment.

Back